Compressors and sandblasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressors and sandblasters

Well been looking at buying a compressor (2.5hp seems to be enough for paint spraying and sand blasting) After a bit of advice from Will (thanks for the phonecall bud) i going to give it a go myself on the quattro shell.

Has anyone any experience on these items?

Air compressor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Compre...ht_7686wt_1270

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Rhyas-...ht_2799wt_1037

Sandblaster:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-Gal...ht_3242wt_1270

Just to see what people's experiance and recommendations are with these tools.

Will be looking at getting large amount's of sheeting to help keep the mess down
    Last edited by Rusty; 19 January 2012, 11:49.

I'm no expert on compressors but forget the first one, 2nd maybe but if i was doing an entire car i would want bigger. Its all about the air delivery rate for blasting, the CFM (cubit feet per minute), and the size of the tank.

I have a similar compressor to the first link that came with a small blasting bottle, works ok for small items if you take your time, but you get maybe 30 seconds of blast time before you have to stop and let the compressor build up pressure again. A larger compressor or storage tank would make all the difference.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

At my work we have a large industrial sand blaster/glass blaster , on a massive industrial compressor and I can honesly say its a bit ****, and personally depending on what you want to do I would look at bead/shot blasters
      NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

thanks guys

Its for on certai rust areas of my quattro. Not the whole car at the moment. Will also be used for blasting subframes and wheels etc
        Last edited by Rusty; 19 January 2012, 11:49.

Comment

Yea ours is for doing wheel refurbs , not man enough really and its BIG it takes me at least an hour per wheel (depending on condition) to get it anywhere near a paintable state.

Comment

after doing this last year for my next project i'm just going to pay someone, easier and saves you having to suffer. Don't forget your need some good protection equipment otherwise sand or whatever blasting media gets everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by djh View Post
              after doing this last year for my next project i'm just going to pay someone, easier and saves you having to suffer. Don't forget your need some good protection equipment otherwise sand or whatever blasting media gets everywhere.

Comment

Personally, I'd say neither of those comperssors are suitable for sandblasting. I have a similar sandblaster but I have a 3hp 150l compressor. I started with a 50l 2.5hp compressor a few years back for running air tools and a spraygun while I was restoring a car (full respray ich underside, engine bay etc) The 50l ended up un a tent in the garden running an air fed mask as it was just underpowered. Sandblasting is one of the most air hungry things you can connect to a compressor.
                1996 Audi S6 Avant.
                1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

I have a wetblast cabinet and run a 7.5hp 3phase hydrovane and that just about manages to sustain 55psi when blasting. In an ideal worldbif I had the space I'd want to go to 10hp so I can run more pressure and speed up the jobs. When I initially got the cabinet I had a 3hp hydrovane with 150ltr tank and it was impossible to try and do any sort of major blasting as just couldn't build up the pressure without stopping for a couple of minutes every 30 seconds. Blasting is great but consumes loads of air and you need a proper compressor.

Just my 2p
                  UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Agree with JP, I have a mobile blaster and a cabinet which struggle massively using a 120 litre compressor. I forget what the cfm was on it but it simply gets through the air faster than it re charge the cylinder.

I've just upgraded to a 10hp 3ph 250 litre compressor and the difference is night and day, I can run the cabinet and a da constant without working the compressor hard.

Major downside ofcourse is not everyone has a 3 ph connection I guess but most single phase compressors just aren't upto the job.

Comment

Working...
                    X