• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2-racer
    so no cleaners then, ok

just a soft cloth?? gently applied??
    why are these things never easy
    I cleaned mine with distilled water ( stuff from a de-humidifier) and gave it a polish with a new duster.

as for the headlamps.....

David

Comment

chrome paint warning

I can also join the group of people who wiped the mirrored finish off the headlight reflectors whilst trying to clean them (sorry Jamo!).

I tried using the chrome paint as suggested by david although had very little success - it just went a dull grey/silver colour........

However, they do spray the can lids with the paint..... and that looked great..... so perhaps there is some technique I'm unaware of whichwill make it nice and shiny. Even with practice, I couldn't get anywhere near a chrome finish.

Others on the car stereo forums (a keen bunch for DIY fabrication work) have all had disappointing results with chrome finish paint.

Anyway, give it a go and let us know how it goes!

Comment

The problem is that the plastic is not chromed. That is aluminium particles "steamed" on the plastic.
        Audi Quattro WR

Comment

I wouldnt even touch it if you can help it. You can buy new reflectors from Audi for about 40 quid IIRC. I replaced mine and it altered the light output vastly. Loads better
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

tom,

would vagparts hold those in stock?? the reflectors in my lenses are toast
            the chrome has cracked and faded to orange, it didnt need any help from me to loose the chrome as most of it seems to have come away with time.
            '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

Dont think you can get the reflectors for the ABY projectors though. Would be interested if it is possible though.

Greg
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair C
                I can also join the group of people who wiped the mirrored finish off the headlight reflectors whilst trying to clean them (sorry Jamo!).

I tried using the chrome paint as suggested by david although had very little success - it just went a dull grey/silver colour........

However, they do spray the can lids with the paint..... and that looked great..... so perhaps there is some technique I'm unaware of whichwill make it nice and shiny. Even with practice, I couldn't get anywhere near a chrome finish.

Others on the car stereo forums (a keen bunch for DIY fabrication work) have all had disappointing results with chrome finish paint.

Anyway, give it a go and let us know how it goes!
                Ya ******!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                  Dont think you can get the reflectors for the ABY projectors though. Would be interested if it is possible though.

Greg
                  Nah I just checked on ETKA. They're not available.
                  Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Vagparts dont keep as stock items but can order them up for you. Give them a call.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

So did anyone come up with a cleaner that would work?

Or did anyone find out is the reflectors for the H1/H4 ABY headlights is still available?

Greg W.
                      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Working...
                      X