Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urquattro - GT coupe (5E?) Elec. windows

Hi all.

Been here a while sniffin' about all the interesting discussions and guides and always finding answers to my problems but now I've run into som trouble that i can't sort without help.

I have a GT coupe (is it called 5E in UK?- same body as urquattro but without the wide fenders..) with manual window regulators and have now bought some electrical window motors and regulators and wiring etc. Problem is they don't fit my windows.

Apparently there are 2 different mounting points for the regulators at the bottom and 3 or 4 at the top which suggests that i at least have monted the in the right place.

The manual ones fit at the mounts furthest to the front of the door and the electrical ones have to be placed further to the back, but since the windows are still the same the mounting points in the glass are about 6-7 cm to far to the front..

The mounting on the glass are clamped and glued on as far as i can see so i thought there must be a different window for the cars with electrical motors from factory and after looking in ETKA i can find 2 different windows but it only states "(empty)" and the alternative "green" which i think has to do with tinting like the top of the windscreen rather then manual or electric..

Has anyone done this conversion, how did you solve it?
    Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated!!

Or does anyone have a pair of factory electrical windows laying around to do some measuments on? I measured from the front end of the glass to the mounting-hole closest to the front, ~42cm and from the rear hole to the rear part of the glass ~40 cm

Thanks - Tobias.

The doors/glass are exactly the same between manual/electric versions. Check you have the right motor on each side (I've heard of it done before) then start with getting the 3x fittings on the motor in place and bolted up then do the bar at the back and then power up the motor and adjust it till you can bolt it to the window glass.

Comment

I understand that if I mount the complete thing in the same place as the manual one it could work.. which is why I really should have given it a try first.

But being logical the other mounting positions wouldnt be there if they wherent supposed to be used by the electrical stuff.. so I tried that and failed..

But anyway, if I mount it in the original position I feel that the steelwires pulling the glass up and down will have a very bad angle since they will be pushed forward and that will cause them to bend and have like 90 degrees angles. Can it handle this you think, also a bit worried it will interfer with the glass if it bends the wrong way.

- Tobias

Comment

On My old 88 MB Ur Quattro i replaced the front windows as they were scratched with the glass from an earlier 83 Coupe and i had the exact same problem. But because the mounting was bonded to the glass i just made some adaptors out of some flat pieces of steel about 100mm long i bolted that to window mounting lined it up with the motor runner bolted it up and that sorted it. I would assume that you either have early glass with late motors or vice versa . oh and when i tried the motor out of the earlier car on it i was unable to bolt it up in the correct place hence the Heath Robinson conversion.
        Nautic Blue UR-Quattro RS2spec ABY20v kkk26/27 hybrid,Bremsport Brake Kit n some other Gubbins.water injection. Mihnea tuned Management The old Bus
        0-60 4.9
        1/4mile 13.5

Comment

Thanks for your input.
          I must have mixed parts. Tried to mount the motor in the same place as the manual one, it Could work but the wire gets deformed pretty much, probably to much..
          I will see if i try it this way until i can sort other motors or other windows.
          Will also consider the adaptor-solution..

Anyone have info on which motor or which window are the old vs. new?
          The windows have the mounts furthest to the front = early or late?
          In ETKA the motors articlenumber ends either with an A (pre a year i cant remember) or a B, on my motors I can't find any letter after the numbers at all..

Comment

This turned out to be the conversion from hell..
            Found another window for my passenger-side after a long search.. some scratches of course but at least I got it cheap.. both are green tint so no difference there.

Mounted it and plugged it in, so far so good, went on to mount the drivers side window-motor just to dry fit and plug in the wires and do a test run.
            Imagine my surprise when I line it up in the top mounts and start to look for the bottom one and see that it doesn't even exist!

The door has the different mounts up top but not the two at the bottom, why!

Oh well I guess I'll have to find a donor-door for that bottom piece..

And everyone says It's an easy bolt on affair to convert..
            Attached Files

Comment

that's strange You mean the mounting point at the bottom of the door is not there right? Isn't it an option to drill a small hole at the correct point and mount the frame with a bolt and nut?

Comment

Working...
              X