After blasting protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After blasting protection

Could you help me with some advice on what to use to protect fresh blasted body until all bodywork is done?Zinc spray products seem to help and welding can be done on them.But on a whole body?
    Thx,

cheapest way is redoxide paint. i don't know if it is the best but been used for many many years. and that is what i do on my old vw camper projects.

Comment

Paint the lot in grey primer. Still can be welded.

However primer will also draw in moisture so try and get the work done and painted as soon as possible.
      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

That is ok also for areas that will need paint/laquer?
        I will make all welds that i can before blasting.But it kills me to prep metal for welding with wiring brush on any electric tool.Blasting will help me to get good welding(no contamination from leftower paint or rust).But until i finish all i will have a thin layer of rust again

Comment

Or before blasting use a flame torch and wire brush to clean the seam sealer and paint off and weld it before blasting.

You will also find that blasting will not remove the seam sealer well anyway so you will have to burn the majority off first.
          Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Can you recomend a good primer to be applied on bare metal?
            What is the procedure in the case of blasted body?Apply primer,after that bondo,sand block all and finish panels,a thick layer of sprayable bondo(i do not know how you call that),let it cure a fiew days/weeks to get into small cracks,sand it with ceck pouder or spray(again i do not know the term for those products used to show low spots),again spreyable thin layer,let it cure,wet sand block and paint?

Comment

An etch primer for bare steel.

And then pretty much as you wrote.
              Audi Nut!!!

Comment

iam up to removing the underseal on my project as well and tried all the solvents and sandblasting etc and the underseal is good sh*t . dont know if you guys can get a tool called the renovator. its perfect for removing seal . it gets 90/95% of the stuff off and wire wheel to finish. i tried the heat trick but i found this easier and cleaner but it is noisy
                mal

Comment

I had a body sand blasted a few years ago and sprayed with Penguard Primer by Jotun Car is now standing outside with a cover over it and its doing fine.

Its a very good hard wearing, weather proof undercoat, used in the shipping industry.

Areas to be welding will need to be cleaned and blow torch and wire brush make easy work of that.
                  Regards
                  Ryss
                  www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Dry ice followed by a hammer also makes short work of the sealer on the floor pan
                    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

U-Pol Acid Etch Primer #8 maybe?
                      1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                      2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                      2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                      2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

Originally posted by malncol View Post
                        iam up to removing the underseal on my project as well and ..........
                        mal
                        When are you going to start a project thread??? I would be interested to see how you are getting on
                        Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Brian, where do you get hold of dry ice? I'm at that stage too.
                          www.seadub.co.uk

Comment

Give google a quick search in your local area, you will be surprised how many places do it.

Make sure you have no bare skin when working with it, it will burn and blister in nano seconds. Ask DETROITPISTON
                            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X