Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust at top of windscreen

Hello all,

Headgasket is slowly being replaced, cash pending. (Its Christmas!)

Once this is done the next important thing to deal with is the spot of rust at the top of my nearside a pillar/top of windscreen.

I while ago I got a quote to put a new screen in sort rust and respray top half of car, £1100!!

Was just wondering if any of you guys are in the bodywork trade and would like to do this work, knowing that care will be taken and a fair price will be quoted just putting the feelers out there so I know what bill I am in for once im financially prepared to do it.
    I am based near Kingston-Upon-Thames and am happy to travel a fair distance to get this sorted.
    sigpic

Pretty sure avants2turbo has a paint shop somewhere round south London, I've not had anything painted but have bought parts from him, could be worth a pm.

Also, if you're willing to travel I've heard a lot of praise for Tonks4x4.

Comment

K-spray painted my car great job and knows how to remove and put back in the screen. Problem is the rust will be all behind the screen from where some one has fitted the screen badly.
      Chef

Comment

My screen still has an old looking little service sticker im assuming from factory/dealer in the top right hand corner when you are sitting inside, as well as black audi logo etched into corner, would this not indicate its the original screen?
        Either way the rust is there and I need it sorted....

Edit:: Would it not be best practice to replace the screen while im at it?
        sigpic

Comment

Cheapest way is to accidentally tap the screen with a hammer and get the screen replaced through your insurance. You should be able to get Autoglass etc to remove the old screen and come back and fit the new one once the rust / paint has been sorted.

Comment

I'm just posting here to remind me to sort this out on my S2.
            1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
            A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

Good idea epic but from what I understand the autoglass type guys tend to ****** up S2 screen fits
              sigpic

Comment

Just paid 190 for a new screen and 140 to have roof re painted where did they get 1100 from. I did strip all the trim off and put it back on myself.

Comment

Use whichever glass fitter you like. I've never had an issue with Autoglass myself though

Comment

Recently I had same problem with the windscreen. The rust under it cracked the windscreen... So my advice is to deal with it ASAP.

I removed the old glass cleaned the rust, before repaint I sprayed the frame with this
                    https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...Mv_gcr5_ovkRdA

now I have brand new windscreen....

Comment

we will do it for you locacted in CHERTSEY surrey. pm me for details
                      NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                      X