fiberglass straightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiberglass straightening

Hy! Is there any way i can reshape an fiberglass body pannel? I mean...the rear bumper. Was made wrong and the upper side is bent downwards...
    I can lift that up using heat or something?...or i should buy a new one?
    Thank You!
    All the best!
    Eugen

Heat is no use...can you provide an image of the bumper...you can do a lot with fibreglass repairs/modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by chezz View Post
      Heat is no use...can you provide an image of the bumper...you can do a lot with fibreglass repairs/modifications.
      Agree with above

you can do anything will fibreglass and a bit of time
      RS 2 580HP

Comment

Thank You for the answers guys!
        I go now into garage to make some pictures with the thing.
        Regards!

Comment

Can you flex it into the position you want without breaking it?

If so if there is space you can make a reinforcing bracket/brace and glass it in.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

The upper side of the bumper is going down and i cannot lift'it. I ordered the front body kit from Aelred, and that was super! The rear side was traded for some work and is really bad
            Maibe i can do something with this...if not...i will asq Aelred to send me an good bumper.
            All the best!
            Eugen
            Attached Files

Comment

Hmm . Does the bumper still have a stiffener?

I would think there is not too much space on the inside to laminate a reinforcement of some kind, on the inside top edge.

I would try a aluminum right angle profile that will clear the body and use Sikaflex to bond it to the inside of the bumper, after giving the surfaces to be bonded, a good rough sand. The profile will need to be strong enough to hold the edge in a straight line. If not some material could be removed from the inside of the top lip, so that it is not so strong.

Problem with fiberglass is that it contracts as it dries and if the mix is not even it causes this type of thing. Adding a fiberglass bonded reinforcement could also show up as dents in the finished surface.
              Regards
              Ryss
              www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Some reinforcement on the inside should hold it straight.I was looking at your approach for rear fender mounting with the part under the taillight.Cristi's bodykit also came with that small part under taillight.But i would like not to cut that part of metal and replace it with fiberglass fender.I was thinking to cut the fender and blend the fiberglass panel with the body before the turn under the lamp.

Comment

The bumper didint came with reinforcment as an good one should
                  Was an simple shell...and the upper lip is so distorded starting with the first inch that i had to fit some screws on the chasis there to look like that...and under..now, is the original GT inner bumper. if i remove'it from the car now is very much distorted.
                  I was thinking at cutting'it after the corner, lift and than glued back with some resin...
                  But..i think will be much easy iff i buy the good one...and finish...
                  This is one of those moments you hate yourself for spending money for cheap stuff.
                  Better spend a little more for a good part...

Comment

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
                    Some reinforcement on the inside should hold it straight.I was looking at your approach for rear fender mounting with the part under the taillight.Cristi's bodykit also came with that small part under taillight.But i would like not to cut that part of metal and replace it with fiberglass fender.I was thinking to cut the fender and blend the fiberglass panel with the body before the turn under the lamp.
                    Hmm...is a good ideea...but i dont think is a big issue there...fitted right..will be ok in both methods i think.

Comment

It looks as if it has come out of the mold to early, and sunk. Only option is to reinforce it from underneath.
                      Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee M View Post
                        It looks as if it has come out of the mold to early, and sunk. Only option is to reinforce it from underneath.
                        Or, cut out the section and make some more fibrglass right....

It is not very difficult.... you can always grind out and do again if you make a mess
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
                          Maibe i can do something with this...if not...i will asq Aelred to send me an good bumper
                          I can't help thinking that by Aelred offering to help you out of this dilemma, it would be beneficial to both of you.

Comment

All the parts i bought from Aelred were super! This has been made here in Romania and didint had the reinforcement on the back from the first place....
                            I will try to cut at the corner and try to straighten like that....without cutting..is not possible to put that lip straight..is too hard.

Comment

LHD Kid that would be another option and easy enought to do, you'd only have to lay a bit of fibreglass up on a flat board and the when that's gone off you can cut and fix it in place and the rest is self explanatory.
                              Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Working...
                              X