Cold draft in drivers footwell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold draft in drivers footwell.

OK, so back in early January I had a new front wing fitted to the car. The old one had a bit of corrosion and needed sorting. Really nice job.

Thing is, what I've come to realise is that there is now a new cold draft of air coming from the drivers footwell on the right hand side. If you're driving along at motorway speeds it's really annoying and bloody cold! It's definitely not related to the air conditioning etc.

Not having seen under the wing myself, are there any grommets etc that might have been forgotten when doing the wing replacement? Any ideas?

Thanks.
    RS2+ (now sold...)

Can't think of any that go directly from the wing to the footwell but there are the usual suspects of the fusebox seal, bonnet pull grommet that may be worth a quick visual check. There's also the sunroof drain channels, that can blow through the door card and of course the door seal itself.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Cheers Andy. Hopefully they're all easy enough to check.
      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

steering column gaiter is directly above the feet, its a press-on fit so check it hasnt been disturbed
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Fuse box cover is likely too. I remember driving home after doing some vagcom and thinking my feet felt even colder than normal. Pulled over and realised I hadnt fully clicked the fusebox cover down
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Appreciate the help. Will have a look and report back.
            RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

since its the front wing that was replaced and not anything else forget about the other bits for the time being as there is no reason to go into the other areas.

It will either be the drivers side inner arch trim or behind this you have a black plastic piece that sits in and stops the cold air going past the wing, hitting the area behind the A pillar on the wing section there is a couple of holes that can let air into the car. When the wing was replaced you will probably find they didn't put that plastic bit of trim

another thing to check is if the bonnet release bung has been disturbed when they moved the bonnet cable from under the drivers wing.

Comment

As Greg says I've done the same and my right foot was bloody freezing after 1 1/2 hours on the motorway
                ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Nice one Greg & Vonbeck - the lid wasn't shut on the fuse box! Easy one to fix.
                  RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

its amazing how much draft comes down when the fuse box lid is off
                    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Yeah, surprising amount of air. Will remember that for hot days
                      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Working...
                      X