c4 bumper mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c4 bumper mounting?

Just curious, I have the European spec s6 c4 bumper for my North American car which comes with a completely differnt bumper and mount setup.

I have all the euro spec parts and i'm curious how to get the proper adjustment for it?

I can get it mounted but the side clips don't seem to hold the bumper properly.

I have a feeling my problem is because of the front mounts and how they are adjusted, the mounts are threaded cylinders that can be moved up and down, do these need to be at a specific height to mount it properly? or by screwing in the mounting bolts will it lift the bumper up and i just keep turning till it doesnt go any further?

sorry if this is a bit daft but i really am confused by this.

Those side clips should hold very tight, to the point where it's actually hard to get the bumper off. Maybe they are damaged in some way or on the inside of the bumper. You have to get the actual front bumper brackets reasonably well lined up horizontally as well before you start adjusting the vertical height via the threaded insert otherwise the adjustment screw isn't centred on the hole that the hex key goes through. It's a pig of a job getting the front perfect, especially on your own best plan is get a mate to help and slide it on one side each. New side mounts are still available and cheap if yours are damaged. Make sure you get a6 and not 100 mounts they are slightly different.

Comment

Also, someone told me, that c4 s4 and c4 s6 mounts are different.
      5vtq gte

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
        Those side clips should hold very tight, to the point where it's actually hard to get the bumper off. Maybe they are damaged in some way or on the inside of the bumper. You have to get the actual front bumper brackets reasonably well lined up horizontally as well before you start adjusting the vertical height via the threaded insert otherwise the adjustment screw isn't centred on the hole that the hex key goes through. It's a pig of a job getting the front perfect, especially on your own best plan is get a mate to help and slide it on one side each. New side mounts are still available and cheap if yours are damaged. Make sure you get a6 and not 100 mounts they are slightly different.
        That's interesting - don't suppose you know the part numbers for the side mounts? Front and rear?

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

I don't think they are different for EU bumpers. I recently replaced them all and don't recall any differences between A6/S6. Check than the screw plugs that hold the side mounts into the wing haven't failed as this will have the same effect as the bumper popping out of the mounts. I have had to use bolts to hold mine on as the old ones were toast and have been superseded to a slightly different part which won't stay in the S6 wing cutouts even with the screw in.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, it will hold it, and i have had the bumper off like 3 or 4 times recently for different reasons. Sometimes it seems to stay locked in and sometimes it tends to pop out easy. I have a feeling it is because of the adjustment on those mounts on the frame. and i was just trying to find out if there is a proper way to do it.

Comment

You do need to get the front brackets well positioned before you start adjusting the bumper position or you can't get it to slide far enough back. That said, it shouldn't cause the sides to pop out on their own. I still think you need to make sure the side mounts or bumper inners aren't damaged as it should be a really positive click in or out. I have to pull so hard to get my bumper off the side mounts that they kept separating from the wing, hence having to put bolts right through to the other side of the wing to keep them on. If they pop out that easily something isn't right with yours. The best solo bumper mounting method I found was to put the front wheels on ramps and get a low chair and the bumper will then sit on it so you can clip each side in without the other side pulling it back out again. Is it always the same side? Have you checked the oil cooler or intercooler and associated air guides haven't moved and are fouling it? There is very little room between them and the bumper.

Comment

Working...
              X