DIY window tint kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY window tint kits?

Wanting to tint rear 5 windows in my A4, got a quote for £200+ to have it done professionally. A quick eBay search coughed up the below kit for £30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Cut-Ca...item3a7aa2e562

Worth doing or no? Or is it best just to splash the cash?

Anyone had experience with these DIY kits?

Cheers

Sam

haha.

there is a LOT of patience involved.

I tackle most things.

I have built motors, torn apart cars and done everything.

I attempted (and i use that word loosely) to do mine, I bought 10m for my urs4.. its hard ****ing work mate.

they need to be super clean, im talking like hose with water clean before you lay the tint down.

you need to be super generous with the soapy water too.

I could NOT get it perfect after 10m so i just splurged and payed the $200AUD to have it done.

Money well spent, plus I dare say the 30gbp stuff is cheap chinese tint. it will fade quicker than the american stuff..

just my 2c

Comment

I've thought about trying this too, have a look at what's involved:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNiwz...66C886&index=4
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

General consensuses so far is that DIY kits are a lot of hassle and tricky work...

Has anyone had success with DIY kits?

Comment

Pre cut DIY kits are ok
          Really clean windows (in a dust free garage with no drafts to kick up anything that will stick to the window
          Proper water sprayer with bit washing up liquid in (and keep soaking the sticky side and window as you do it, don't be afraid thinking it won't stick, it does)
          Start at the bottom and work up(oo err)
          Use a squeegee from a proper it, old credit cards don't work
          If you have any curling or non sticking edges clear nail varnish is good apparently but I ve never used it myself
          Plenty of paper towel to soak up the overspray afterwards
          Curved windows like rear screen are hard going, tint can be sliced to help around curves but don't overlap it, looks naff
          Really sharp scalpel type modelling knife is useful
          I ve done two discoveries, a t5 Volvo estate and my t4 caravelle, takes time that's all
          Try to buy a good thickness tint as the thin Chinese stuff scratches easily (kids fingers nails, wife's engagement ring etc)
          Or pay a professional to do without the hassle

Comment

Many thanks!

Reading the last response fills me with a little more confidence to give the 'pre cut DIY kits' a go. And for the sake of £30 I don't really have much too lose. You never know it may look brilliant and I'll be one happy chappy.
            I'll order a kit dreckly, making sure its a american not chinese made kit and post the results (good or bad).

Wish me luck

Sam

Comment

Get a cheap roll first and practise on an old window or tint your house just do you get the hang of it

Comment

The curved windows need to be heated and shrunk to fit.

Only push creases out downwards when shrinking them and do it on the outside of the window first.

Good luck.

As said before, soapy water in pressure sprayer is must.

Rubber squeegee and plastic push cards for tight holes.

Use a new blade on each window you clean.

Rear window needs degreaser and scotch pad to clean it then microfiber and soapy water

Windows must be spotless. Its imperative.

Comment

Working...
                X