Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Sticky Rear Passenger Door Windows - Cures ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Sticky Rear Passenger Door Windows - Cures ?

Can the movement of the window be increased / freed up without taking anything apart ?

Or do you have to take off the rear door card ?

I presume you don't have to start taking the inner metal panel off ?

The query applies to both B4 and C4, as both of mine's rear passengers windows are slow and 'sticky'.

Any advices or photos welcomed.

Thanks.

Originally posted by macspring View Post
    Can the movement of the window be increased / freed up without taking anything apart ?
    Or do you have to take off the rear door card ?
    I presume you don't have to start taking the inner metal panel off ?
    The query applies to both B4 and C4, as both of mine's rear passengers windows are slow and 'sticky'.
    Any advices or photos welcomed.
    I can only speak to the C4s, e.g. my UrS4 and my 98 C4 A6 Avant. For them (the C4s) the windows are in a self-contained window cassette. The window itself runs in the two edge tracks that you can clean and then spray with a silicon spray to make the edges slide easier. The window is pulled up and then pulled down by the window regulator cable that runs its own guide tubes but also in a metal centre track, as shown below. On the C4s, there is a hole in the bottom edge of the door that would allow you to spray some white lithium grease onto the track and the cable (several application with the window in various positions (heights) might be needed to get all of the cable).

This photo is an example LHD driver's door window cassette. The other three windows will be similar (but different):

Attached Files
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks Dave for the informative reply.

If one decides to take the door cassette out to fully access the window winding mechanism, is it a case of better not to do so, because it is too hard / tricky to be able to then subsequently remount the window cassette exactly as it was correctly set by the factory?

Comment

I had slow, sticky and squeaky rear right window. This was the reason:

Rust around gear center pin inside window motor. Window is working as new after cleaning off the rust.

Remounting door cassette back is not hard at all, it takes just a few tries to align it correctly. Or even just one if you mark bolt positions before undoing them

Comment

Originally posted by mdz View Post
          ..Remounting door cassette back is not hard at all, it takes just a few tries to align it correctly. Or even just one if you mark bolt positions before undoing them
          Mark the positions of the cassette and bolts with marker pen and/or masking tape and replacement is a doddle (ish).
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

On my S6 C4 the windows became notably quicker after replacing the window switches.
            Basically these switches tend to corrode due to the current they are switching and because they are exposed to rain when you open the door when it's raining.
            If it's the switches then the next phase of failure after slowing down is that you have to press them a couple of times to get the windows moving. Before you know it they'll stop moving altogether.
            5 cilinder addict:
            1995 UrS6, 2.2 turbo, daily driver, EFI coilkit, custom exhaust.
            1993 S2, 2.2 turbo, ABY, long term project.
            2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. Because reasons.

Comment

I have the same problem in all four windows. I'll try some of those advices.

Comment

Working...
              X