No announcement yet.

Sunroof Drain locations and hints on clearing them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They both seem odd, having the rear drain over a vent seems an odd choice and having it hidden seem equally odd.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
      They both seem odd, having the rear drain over a vent seems an odd choice and having it hidden seem equally odd.
      Can't argue with that...but they did get it right(er) with the C4 avant's rear sunroof drains:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks gents. That gives me a couple of places to start looking. I'll probably wait til the weekend, but I'll post the results on here once I've investigated further.

Comment

Right, Had a proper look at the drains on Saturday. Hopefully you can see the location from the photos. It is just behind the rear door, behind the arch cove. Bit of a pig to get at and the age of the plastic doesn't help. Cracked a couple bit when I was trying to bend it back out of the way.

The drain pipe had, over time, flattened at the end which had caused the blockage. As soon as I opened the end with a screwdriver the water drained from the tube. I've now pushed a short length of hard plastic tube in the end to keep it open. Hopefully that will sort it. Just got the other side to do.
          Attached Files

Comment

Alistair: I am happy that you found the location and cleared the drain.

I am disappointed that your photos are so so tiny that I can't see anything. Could you repost with photos that are at least 800 x 600 pixels so we can see what you saw?

Thanks.

Comment

Apologies for the photo size. Wasn't sure what the max file size was and I was in a bit of a rush. Hopefully these are a bit better
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair E View Post
                Apologies for the photo size. Wasn't sure what the max file size was and I was in a bit of a rush. Hopefully these are a bit better
                Yup. Those are good (enough). Wow. Not the best design (location). Very difficult to access if they need to be cleaned from the discharge end.

Comment

In the Netherlands last week and had the chance, thanks to Herman, to search for the 80 avant drain tube inside the car.......and there you are!

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                    In the Netherlands last week and had the chance, thanks to Herman, to search for the 80 avant drain tube inside the car.......and there you are!
                    Tom: So that is in the "C" pillar? Any photos of the point of exit by the wheel well?

Comment

yes, C-pillar. I'll grab a shot of mine in the wheel arch too. Mines is a no sunroof car so I'm curious what is there. Just a plug probably.

Comment

I do have exsactly the same issue on my B4 Avant:

Originally posted by sps-si View Post
                        after rain brake hard for the first time and i get a lap full of water!
                        All drain pipes are changed into brand new.
                        I assume that in my case this ''drip tray'' at the back of sliding mechanism can't be the reason as I get water only when I brake ? ?

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        A really important part in this scenario is the "drip tray" part 14/15 in the diagram above. This sits underneath the rear of the sliding panel, catches water dripping through and directs it into the cassette base so it can get to the drain tubes. This "tray" (it's actually like a long narrow bridge) is clipped to the back of the sliding mechanism and travels back out of the way when the roof is open. It can become disconnected from the sliding sunroof panel and get left down at the back of the cassette at which point you get a very wet headlining. If you move the sunroof into tilt position you can see if it is present and correct.
                        Can't check the ''tray'' now, but I have headlining removed and I wasn't able to locate through were water is leaking...

Comment

Hi
                          Check that the cassette is sealed round the tubes carrying the drive cables for the roof mechanism as mine was exactly the same, found to be corroded and water could easily pass through to roof lining side
                          I overhauled whole mechanism and sealed with butyl tape, same stuff as back lights, hopefully sorted out not

Paul
                          1995 RS2 Nogaro
                          1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                          1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

I had the same problem it was the drip tray had disconnected, all I did was eased the headlining down then reconnect it

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              A really important part in this scenario is the "drip tray" part 14/15 in the diagram above. This sits underneath the rear of the sliding panel, catches water dripping through and directs it into the cassette base so it can get to the drain tubes. This "tray" (it's actually like a long narrow bridge) is clipped to the back of the sliding mechanism and travels back out of the way when the roof is open. It can become disconnected from the sliding sunroof panel and get left down at the back of the cassette at which point you get a very wet headlining. If you move the sunroof into tilt position you can see if it is present and correct.
                              If I understand correctly on B4 Avant it will be part 21/23 in the diagram ?

Originally posted by nip View Post
                              I had the same problem it was the drip tray had disconnected, all I did was eased the headlining down then reconnect it
                              you mean the same part no.23 ? can't find drip tray in the diagram, they call this part 'water channel' ......
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
                                Check that the cassette is sealed round the tubes carrying the drive cables for the roof mechanism as mine was exactly the same, found to be corroded and water could easily pass through to roof lining side
                                didn't observe any corrosion, but thanks for advice, will double check it

Comment

Working...
                                X