No announcement yet.

Aero wiper for the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can cross the Panamera off the list, could not be more unsuitable...

Looking at the aero blades themselves, they have a nub on the mounting that ensues they only fit them arm one way. Remove the nub and they can be mounted the other way around so that with a front arm mounted on the rear and with a modified aeroblade (with this nub removed) it will be aerodynamically correct and hopefully give the look I am after.
    So, will remove either arm and see which one best suits the rear and mod another blade and see what works best.
    At least it is another step closer...

Comment

What about a 'retrofit' type aero wiper blade fitted to the standard arm?
      Would still need to find one the correct length, (hook) fixing and orientation.
      Last edited by mouse; 10 May 2014, 01:59.

Comment

to bulky and not as sleak as a "proper" aero assembly IMHO...

Comment

just to update this... The mk6 Astra passenger side front wiper arm and blade has the correct dim's and orientation for the rear of the coupe. I took the plunge and have one on the way to confirm final fit and finish but fingers crossed. Oh and pics to follow

Comment

good idea, would like also to change the old look
            S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

Originally posted by restricted View Post
              to bulky and not as sleak as a "proper" aero assembly IMHO...
              I agree.

And this applies to the front also.

oem aero arms or the original oem wiper arms.

It has been covered before, but people should be aware in advance that the oem aero wiper arms tend not to have a 'spoiler' on the driver's arm, and so you may find that the driver's wiper lifts from the windscreen and won't clear the rain at anything above say 65 - 70 mph.

Notwithstanding the above, the converter looks too big and bulky imho.

Comment

Mine work fine well into 3 figures
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

There is no spoiler on an aero blade/arm as the blade is the spoiler, which is why it is important to get the blade the correct way round so it is pushed onto the screen, as the other way round would create lift.... simple aerodynamics lol

Comment

Righto, got the mk6 Astra arm today, the mounting hole for the spindle is 2mm ****** than the S2 spindle...

so a small lump of ally was machined to be a snug fit in the mounting hole, I then drilled it out to suit the S2 bolted on and yup the blade is 24" so fouled the washer jet... so on the way home I popped into my local fast **** to get a 22"aero blade and other than needing a plastic cap for the nut from Vauxhall it fits proper like...

Comment

So what was wrong with the spindle hole?

Comment

why did I get censored for the word bigger? lol
                        there is nothing wrong with the mounting hole other than it is 2mm larger than the spindle

Comment

Right, so it was more like a stepped insert? But the taper and splines fit OK?

Comment

well I had the bush machined to suit the taper and then just drilled out the hole to suit the smallest diameter on the S2 spindle then just pressed it on and the splines cut into the aluminium as they would a new wiper arm.
                            Then just tightened the nut.
                            Should have taken a pic but only have 30 mins for lunch so was on a tight schedule lol

Comment

The arm looks a bit clunky coming down from above the blade and with the shaped bit near at the spindle. Not sure it's an improvement over stock

Also it's hard to see on the photo but is the orientation of the blade now fitted the wrong way round?
                              <edit: just read your previous comment on removing the 'nub' and flipping the blades>
                              Last edited by mouse; 10 June 2014, 01:09.

Comment

no the nub removal was if using an arm of the incorrect orientation. This arm and blade has the correct orientation for the rear of the coupe.

Comment

Working...
                                X