Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic welding bumpers

Anyone tried this?
    I have a damaged v6 bumper to play with, needs mounts putting on-which I don't have but I'm sure scrap yard will help with a bumper for parts
    Seen a frost one for about £80, says suitable for PP material as I think the bumper is

I think so too, my bodyshop guy said he is gona plastic weld repair my front bumper
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Yep, fixing the RS2 rear bumber was my big project last summer after a moron rear ended med (lukily at less than walking speed).
      Got an estimate at the body shop that my insurance company sent me to (approx. £1300 estimated repair cost) and the insurance transferred that money to my account.
      I get really picky when I'm doing bodywork, so it took a massive amount of time, but I also fixed some old, dodgy repairs that had been done to it before.
      It had been professionally repaired one time before I got the car, but upon removing the bumper from the brackets, that repair cracked wide open agian...
      I also discovered some half assed repair work with fibreglass that was probably done in Germany in the 90's.
      I also rebuilt the inside of the cutout for the exhaust that had seen some damage (my fault) from a misaligned muffler.
      Lots of plastic welding, using an old ABS (plastic) spoiler from a Golf as welding rod. I used a big 150w soldering iron. Worked great.
      Then plastic type filler, spray filler, lots of sanding, swearing, sweating, etc.
      The paint job turned out absolutely perfect, and I got a better paint match than the front bumber and bonnet that have been professionally painted before I got the car in 2006.
      I shot it with some old school LZ5M paint that I got when I bought the car.
      I didn't want to deal with 2K clearcoat due to the Isocyanates that can cause asthma problems even at low exposures, so I got hold of an amazing 1K clear from U-Pol that performs very close to 2K without the Isocyanates.

As mentioned, very, very time consuming, but it would have blown chunks if I had let the body shop fix it and that repair had cracked (like the previous pro repair) a few years down the road.

1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
      1994 80E Avant
      1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the reply and photos too.
        I ve an s2 bumper that may need stuff doing so I'll practise on the v6 one first I think.
        Will need advice on spraying next as I'm going to paint rub strips and mirrors on the tdi ready for s2 replica look

Comment

Working...
        X