Paint Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Advice

I'm after a bit of advice as to what type of paint you'd advise to use for re-spraying the s2 as I've got a bit of conflicting advise. Some people say 2pac (2k) or others say base-coat and lacquer system.

any advise or tips? 2pac sounds less preferable due to the contents and side effects of them but might be easier to use and get a better result. but possibly safer nowdays? obviously proper breathing apparatus is necessary with any paint but 2pac really needs an air fed mask £££!!

cheers

will
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Base coat and laquer is 2k. The base coat has no isocianate but the laquer has.
    I would advise base cost and laquer as it's a harder finish. Hard as in diamond. The harder the paint the more it can shine.
    Ppg d800 is the best laquer on the market.
    Get it from fisher motor factors online. Super cheap and easy.

Hth
    Rob..
    94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
    87 UR 20v ABY
    97 S6 Avant
    96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
    1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Good info as always Rob

Will - use 2K its really nice to use and gives an excellent finish for an amateur.
      I did my engine bay and cross member, first go with a decent gun:
      Its metallic base & 2k clear.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=702
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        Good info as always Rob

Will - use 2K its really nice to use and gives an excellent finish for an amateur.
        I did my engine bay and cross member, first go with a decent gun:
        Its metallic base & 2k clear.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=702
        dont show me that...makes me want to take my engine out again!

so was that a 2k basecoat and 2k lacquer? look lovely!

Comment

2K refers to the separate hardener in the 2K type paint system.
          Just remember to be very careful with the Isocyanates in the 2K clear.
          When painting the rear bumper of my RS2, I used a 1K clearcoat from U-POL that performs very close to 2K. The Isocyanates are nasty and can induce asthma even at low exposure. In addition to the risk of other side effects like death.
          I'm an elite level MTB cyclist, so the risk of getting asthma is a no-go for me.
          U-Pol S2085: http://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?mai...oducts_id=2303

The U-Pol 1K holds up great, tons better than standard 1K clear. After a year, I can not distinguish the shine of the U-POL 1K from the regular 2K that was used on other components on the car.
          In fact, the color match of my DIY job is much better than the parts that were professionally painted before I got the car in 06, like bonnet and front bumper.
          Last edited by EspenW; 10 July 2014, 18:03.
          1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
          1994 80E Avant
          1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by willg54 View Post
            dont show me that...makes me want to take my engine out again!

so was that a 2k basecoat and 2k lacquer? look lovely!
            As Rob said, the metallic base is 1K, then U-pol 2k clearcoat
            As above 2k is nasty stuff, don't take any chances, it will **** you up for life.
            I painted mine with a full face respirator..... next time i'd use an proper airfed mask.
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
              Base coat and laquer is 2k. The base coat has no isocianate but the laquer has.
              I would advise base cost and laquer as it's a harder finish. Hard as in diamond. The harder the paint the more it can shine.
              Ppg d800 is the best laquer on the market.
              Get it from fisher motor factors online. Super cheap and easy.

Hth

PPg Water based

I will post some picks of my shine My car was respray 5years ago it has a very deep shine very happy with it,

IMG_1286.jpg
              RS 2 580HP

Comment

Originally posted by jade View Post
                PPg Water based

I will post some picks of my shine My car was respray 5years ago it has a very deep shine very happy with it,

[ATTACH]47884[/ATTACH]
                I've tried water base but the laquer is hi solids. Gives an orange peel finish even after flat and polishing. It's too thick. Looks like porridge in the pot.
                D800 is medium solids. Most of the paint I do ends up costing more than a good RS2 so finish had to be perfect. On with an Etype at the mo. Just about to start the lead work when I get back off hols. Getting lots of sun in Lagos Portugal.
                Rob..
                94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                87 UR 20v ABY
                97 S6 Avant
                96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

What is the difference between the two hardeners for that D800 Rob?
                  PPG lists a D802 Standard Hardener, or a D803 MS Hardener with different mixing ratios?
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                    Base coat and laquer is 2k.

Hth
                    Base coat and laquer is a 2 stage paint not 2k.
                    2k means paint+activator/hardener
                    1k= paint that will be sprayed as it is and will dry by itself.

So:What is the question?You want to paint the car with 1 stage paint and no laquer?
                    That is not so durable.2 stages paint i advice.
                    Where do you want to spray your car?Should use a paint booth.The ventilation will do the job for paint fumes.Also the hvlp paint gun will do the job for getting the paint on the car not in the air.And a respirator? http://www.amazon.com/3M-Paint-Proje.../dp/B00004Z4EB

I think this will be the most inexpensive part.You will pay almost double for all grades sandpaper.Not talking about masking tape,masking paper etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
                      Base coat and laquer is a 2 stage paint not 2k.
                      2k means paint+activator/hardener
                      1k= paint that will be sprayed as it is and will dry by itself.

So:What is the question?You want to paint the car with 1 stage paint and no laquer?
                      That is not so durable.2 stages paint i advice.
                      Where do you want to spray your car?Should use a paint booth.The ventilation will do the job for paint fumes.Also the hvlp paint gun will do the job for getting the paint on the car not in the air.And a respirator? http://www.amazon.com/3M-Paint-Proje.../dp/B00004Z4EB

I think this will be the most inexpensive part.You will pay almost double for all grades sandpaper.Not talking about masking tape,masking paper etc.
                      And there is the bitter truth

people wonder why automotive painting costs so much, the consumables outlay is huge if your doing it properly
                      sigpic
                      "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                      BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                      1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                      2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Get it wrapped
                        sigpic
                        "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                        BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                        1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                        2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Originally posted by rj scotty View Post
                          And there is the bitter truth

people wonder why automotive painting costs so much, the consumables outlay is huge if your doing it properly
                          and it takes time to do a good job... a lot of time
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Never thought it would be cheap. But id rather paint then wrap it. Goin to a friendly paint shop sat mornin to go through it all.

Pricing up the consumables is about 3x price of paint! But im quite looking forward to it, will finish the car off...for now

Comment

You could save some money by getting the car stripped.Ex:door handles,all trim/lining,lights,mirrors etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X