So, what's so good about elipsoids..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what's so good about elipsoids..?

Keep seeing these going for a fair few quid. There must be something special about them over standard B4 headlights? Or is there a bit of 'I've got elipsoids!' involved...?

What's the deal?

Did u heard for audi rs2?

Comment

If you've got Ellipsoids you can fit a HID kit without fear of blinding everyone else on the road
      Difference between this and the pi$$ poor standard jobbies is like night and day literally !

Standard ellipsoids seem to concentrate the light output better but I have heard instances where people claim less output ?

Yes they do look better IMHO,

If they were deemed better for the RS2 why settle for anything less
      For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

So, HID kits aside, what do they do that standard lights don't? Just create more projection?

Comment

They are more rare and looks better. Low beams on ellipsoids are weaker than V6/S2 non-ellipsoids.

Comment

Once set up correctly the beam pattern is focussed so the light output is far better than reflector lamps as you are using more of the energy from the lamps, I noticed a big improvement when I fitted mine, and I don't run HIDs.
            They also look a lot more modern and as Chris says you can run HIDs in an acceptable manner, albeit still technically illegal.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Excellent info, thankyou. Well they're on the 'might do' list rather than the 'must do' list now then :-)

Comment

I am not connected to Biturbo i anyway but looking at his pictures of last of the last ellipsoids on the cabby he has for sale at £270 posted thats a good price.Of course you could wait a little longer on ebay and pay that price for a pair with broken tabs.

Lead a horse to water and all that.
                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                94 2.6 80 Avant
                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Reason to fit them: they do look much better than the non-elipsoid lights.

Reason not to fit them: light output on low beam is pretty poor without HID's. Although Alex seems to have another experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                    Lead a horse to water and all that.
                    OP wished to to know the pro's and cons and if they warranted the price tag NOT to buy some

IMHO their worth that all day long but £300 is a sizeable wedge and unless your pockets are brimming with the stuff (mine are not) people are reluctant to part with there cash !

£300 on a chip or £300 on some fancy headlamps ?
                    It's a no-brainer ( unless you drive mostly of a night )
                    For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

i agree the cost is ridiculous.

maybe using bmw internals is an option like it was in corrado land with some work

Comment

If you think an ellipsoid is expensive, go and see how much a headlight is for a 996
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Has anybody a pic of the ellipsoid lit up at night, thanks

Comment

I got a mint pair off a late cabrio for £240 delivered on eBay. All tabs intact, and glass is perfect. Just saying....
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

well, that s still on my to do list...
                              S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

Working...
                              X