Next issue... rear windscreen wiper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next issue... rear windscreen wiper

So, having just finished up fixing the ignition and lambda issues, as well as a new boot lock; the rear wiper has stopped working

Having taken it to bits, there's nothing obviously wrong, other than some worn brushes and the motor does work when given 12V, so I think it's just one of those things...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Mine never stops once you start it. I try not to use the damned thing. I think my current daily (Seat Leon) is the only car I have ever had whereby the rear wiper performs as it should.

Comment

Umm you probably knwo the old cleaner trick in the column??? I brought my avant and never got the rear wiper to work until i sprayed in some contact cleaner and wiggled the stalk around about 4 years later.... almost 2 years on it still works a treat. When my headlight stalk stopped workign for high beam earlier this year, the same trick solved that one too.

not saying yours is the same issue but it might be worth a try

Comment

Mine has a mind of its own too, works as and when it feels like it. Had everything apart changed stalks, tested voltage

Comment

Guarantee its the stalk that's at fault.. mine never worked until i cleaned all the contacts on the stalks.
          Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
          03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
          01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Sounds like the stalk might be worth a look then!

The thing that's confusing is that the washer motor is spinning, so not sure if that's all part of the same circuit?
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

My washer squirts fine but wiper does what it wants

Comment

Mine was the stalk, but also under the dash, a relay had a dicky connection, if it was fully pushed home it didn't work, but pull it out a bit and it's fine, has been for 10 months now, but still feels surreal that it works when I push the stalk

Comment

I had one that wouldn't stop too.
                  Can't really turn ignition off while driving!
                  Well, apart from when the drive by wire pedal broke on our Sharan!

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser...

Will have to study the diagrams and learn what dies what...
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

#289 I think was the relay, but start with contact cleaner in the stalk -mine was so dead it needed replacing though... £30 from Febi and it's OK quality wise

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
                        Mine never stops once you start it. I try not to use the damned thing. I think my current daily (Seat Leon) is the only car I have ever had whereby the rear wiper performs as it should.
                        You do know that it works on a one push for on, another push for off basis? I didn't realise this until I'd had the coupe for at least a year!

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
                          You do know that it works on a one push for on, another push for off basis? I didn't realise this until I'd had the coupe for at least a year!
                          Oh yes. I have had a few CQ's down the years that supposedly function in a similar way (when they want to)

All I get with my S2 is more water, another three wipes then rinse repeat ha ha. Drives me up the wall and is basically the only thing on the car that annoys me.

Comment

My 93 ABY had the relay for the rear wiper under the rear seat
                            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

I'd go for the relay or stalk. Mine played up after years off the road but works fine now. I have a spare motor somewhere if you need it.
                              91 Modded 3B
                              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X