Coupe window slow up and down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe window slow up and down

...any thoughts? It does go up and down but seems to be about 1/2 the speed of the drivers side.

Does something need lubricating or is it a case of getting new parts to resolve.

I need to take the door cards off soon to replace the rubber seals anyway so keen to sort this at the same time.

Cheers
    David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Motor
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Similar problem i got,but it go down normaly,just going up its slow?

Comment

hmm, so is it a case of dismantle, clean up, re-grease and we are good for another 22years or replacement time?
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

It will always be slower when going up. I did the same with mine, greased all the cables, opened up the motor, regreased that and used loads of silicone spray on the tracks too.
          '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
          '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

It all gets gunged up. As above, pull it to bits, clean it all up and put new grease on. Make sure you note the position of the ends of the guides, as these have 3 notches that allow for tightening the cable.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I greased the runners with some silicone spray which improved things, but I need to take them apart and regrease the motors, but not in a hurry to do that as I know how much of a PITA it is readjusting the windows when they are refitted.
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Another possibility is that the electric switch is on it's way out.
                What happens is that the full current for opening and closing the window goes through the switch and the contacts get fried. Also: the switch can get wet if the door is opened when it's raining.
                To test if it is the switch: Open the windows using the switch and close the windows with the central locking from the car by holding the key to the lock door position for x seconds. If the window(s) now close rapidly then it is the switch.
                5 cilinder addict:
                1995 UrS6, 2.2 turbo, daily driver, EFI coilkit, custom exhaust.
                1993 S2, 2.2 turbo, ABY, long term project.
                2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. Because reasons.

Comment

Nice tip, thanks
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Mine was slow for years David, when replacing the door rubbers I lubricated the rails and cables, no dismantling was required and it as good as new...

Cheers

Steve
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Good to know Steve, thanks. I am hopeful that a little fettling will restore them to new...who knows may even resolve the squeal you get when the weather finally warms up too
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X