Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Lower Door Trims, how to remove & refit

Hi Guys,

About to tackle removing the old door trims and replacing with new ones, any tips on how this is done ?

Do they just slide off ?

Paul

Yes, they should slide off, but if they are corroded you might struggle. Make sure you grease the new ones to stop them from corroding.

Comment

Me too so any pictures would help. Suspect mine are stuck on too!

Going to zinc primer the metal on mine as well as grease them

Comment

There's a cover at the end of each trim. Take covers out and slide trim off.

Comment

You're a Star, many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RS2junkie View Post
            Hi Guys,

About to tackle removing the old door trims and replacing with new ones, any tips on how this is done ?

Do they just slide off ?

Paul
            Paul, did you manage to get them off ok? Also do you have pics of before and after perhaps? One of mine is looking like it could do with being taken off cleaned up and stuck back on. Little jobs, little jobs please stay away, until it's time to come out and play...with an I5 T.....

1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
            2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
            1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
            1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
            2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
            1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
            2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
            1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Thanks Paul, mine are not quite near that stage yet but would be good to get them of to see how they are if they are not just full of dirt that is making them swell.

1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
              1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
              2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
              2013 Q7 Flooded & gone

Comment

have to say the clip comes out smoothly, (okay I did spray/soaked with WD40 liberally first) and the design is effective, but....

OMG why... make the inner metal out of tin can like steel!

Seriously removal of these trims, checking for rust, treating with rust killer, and painting the metal is a must addition to regular maintenance list.

Just repaired passenger rear, which was in a bad way. The others were poor, but not corroded away.

All had been replaced by the previous owner, and the bare metal painted - which wasn,t the case from new, or so I was told.

However they still rusted. One was only done a couple of years ago, and the corrosion had already begun.to bite.

So I'd say to any RS2 owner that even if the trims look okay, it's worth checking before the trims start to sit proud.

Comment

I never even had the chance to look at mine when home recently, but when home next planning to get the wheels off to get re-done, and clean out the arches as that salt on the roads was pretty nasty to the metal under the arches, so while car on stands will have a wee look at these and see if they have been filled with salt form the roads too, poor beastie....

1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
                  1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
                  2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
                  2013 Q7 Flooded & gone

Comment

Yeah, I hadn't looked either, it was just down in my mind as something that I'd been told was done.

Full disclosure, previous owner provided me a strip for the iirc drivers side door, I had this pained and fitted by my local preferred garage at the same time they fixed a crack in the front bumper.

However I noticed the rear lh passenger door strip was sitting proud, and so I arrived at this how to.

It is really easy to do, provided the corrosion isn't binding.

This strop was bad, but came free easy having being soaked in penetrating oil first.

By bad I mean it was corroded away completely at either end, with bad corrosion especially on the lower edge.

I don't doubt this had been replaced, it was painted, but that wasn't enough.

Comment

will it fit to a sallon b4?

Comment

Working...
                      X