3M Vinyl Wrap - RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3M Vinyl Wrap - RS2

I know this may be sacrilegious to many but I was wondering if anyone has ever applied the 3M protective vinyl wrapping to their RS2 and if they have any pics? I assume you don't need a dye cut to get it done.

Cheers,
    Sasha

Originally posted by SashaG View Post
    I know this may be sacrilegious to many but I was wondering if anyone has ever applied the 3M protective vinyl wrapping to their RS2 and if they have any pics? I assume you don't need a dye cut to get it done. Cheers, Sasha
    So you're keeping it now?

Any good vinyl wrap shop could do your RS2 but yes, it would sacrilegious, but it's your car.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Yup ... decided to keep it a while back and updated the spark plugs, water pump and belts. It's running a dream!

The wrap keeps the paint in tact and protects the car so I thought it may be a decent idea ... not convinced but I wondered if anyone had done that at all.

Hoping that maybe someone has.

Sasha

Comment

I think it's a good idea, do the front bumper and the bonnet maybe, or just anywhere it's gonna get stone-chipped, wrap it in clear vinyl or or vinyl that's colour matched to your car, then just redo it every 5 years or so, be like having a fresh paint job every time!
        RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
        RS2 - LHD on the road again
        RS2 - reduced to component parts
        RS2 Saloon replica
        A4 1.8T
        BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
        sigpic

Comment

Sacrilegious is a strong word for this case... respraying an original RS Blau in anything other than RS Blau, however, is tantamount to heresy.

As mentioned, vinyl protects the original paint. Many guys with money and high dollar cars will do this as a track treatment to protect the paint from debris damage.

Cool thing is you get options. As stated above you could go with something matched to the original colour, or use it as a chance to see your car in a different colour without having to respray. Or change things up every few years without ever touching the original paint, and maintaining it's condition.

If you do go this route, check out some local super car oriented forums to see where the big boys are getting their cars wrapped.

Pics when you're done please!
          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I looked into getting 3M a few years back. It was a little more costly as the job needed to be done freehand because no computer templates exist for the RS2 in Canada. You'll need to find someone with some skill to get it done right. My suggestion is to get the entire hood and fenders done to avoid that dreaded line across the hood.

--Oops, just realized you were talking about a wrap as opposed to a clear bra.

Comment

Working...
            X