This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting RS2 mirrors to a coupe

If you have an S2 coupe and you want that RS2 look then the mirrors are an essential element of that look. They derive from Porsche and are part of their signature involvement in creating a car that formed a distant cousin of the Porsche family. The teardrop design can also be seen on the 964, 993 and 968 but the important differentiator is the base, which is unique to the RS2 as it caters for the slope of the door, which is different to the above-mentioned Porsche cars.

There is a great guide on the parts needed to do this and some pictures on

http://www.s2power.com/porsche%20spiegels%20en.htm

The purpose of this guide is to show you how it is done and includes changing the pesky coupe door window seals as well. I have concentrated on the RHD car and the following parts are needed: -

Diagram.jpg Parts List.jpg

It's an old cliche but here is one I did earlier

tn_DSC_0813.JPG
    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Very nice !

I guess the mirror (movement)controls works as well if you connect as it says in the link?
    Project Audi s2 coupé 1996

http://http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80796]

Comment

Fitting RS2 mirrors to a coupe

Here's the standard S2 mirror in all its glory

tn_DSC_0814.JPG tn_DSC_0815.JPG

First thing to do is wind the window down fully to avoid scratching or knocking it.....not totally necessary but it just makes things easier.

tn_DSC_0816.JPG

Then twist the mirror into the folded position to reveal the two splined bolts. This may be difficult if you have never folded them before. In the first picture i have undone the first bolt and in the second I have moved the mirror again to get a better purchase.

tn_DSC_0817.JPG tn_DSC_0818.JPG

Be very careful with these bolts. Apply a lot of pressure before attempting to turn them because if you strip the splines, things get a whole lot messier.

Comment

Now all is revealed.

tn_DSC_0819.JPG

The road dirt build up is huge and please excuse the greenery in the window seal and the excess polish. That was over 2 years ago and it is all spruced up now

Ease the connector apart gently

tn_DSC_0820.JPG

This does not matter really as we will be replacing both the mirror and the connector wiring later.

tn_DSC_0821.JPG

You can now see the two bolt holes that we will be using later with the RS2 mirror adaptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Filip_FIN View Post
          Very nice !

I guess the mirror (movement)controls works as well if you connect as it says in the link?
          Oh yes! We have some pukka wiring to take care of that

Comment

Next we move onto the door card removal so that we can access the wiring for the mirrors.

Undo the screw in the edge of the door
            tn_DSC_0822.JPG tn_DSC_0823.JPG

Open the door lever and undo the screw. I also used some fine nosed pliers to pull the screw out.
            tn_DSC_0824.JPG tn_DSC_0825.JPG

Slide the plastic lever casing forwards and pull out
            tn_DSC_0826.JPG tn_DSC_0827.JPG

Gently peel back the grey coloured tape. We want to re-use this later. This exposes the foam filler piece
            tn_DSC_0828.JPG tn_DSC_0829.JPG

Take the foam out to reveal the cable hook
            tn_DSC_0830.JPG

Remove the spring clip
            tn_DSC_0831.JPG

Ease the cable out of its groove
            tn_DSC_0832.JPG

Twist to release the hook and separate the door lever from the cable
            tn_DSC_0833.JPG

Next we need to remove the door handle by first inserting a Philips screwdriver in the hole on the underside of the handle that points diagonally upwards and backwards from the rear of the handle hold.
            tn_DSC_0834.JPG tn_DSC_0835.JPG

Now remove the two allen key screws from the front of the handle
            tn_DSC_0836.JPG tn_DSC_0837.JPG

This will release the door handle fully
            tn_DSC_0838.JPG

Taking care to slide out the window switch panel and then detach it from its socket
            tn_DSC_0839.JPG tn_DSC_0840.JPG

Comment

Remove the two brackets that hold the handle on

tn_DSC_0841.JPG tn_DSC_0842.JPG

Carefully lift the door card upwards to clear the door-open indicator

tn_DSC_0843.JPG tn_DSC_0844.JPG tn_DSC_0845.JPG

Comment

Stickified! Nice write-up John
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Here's the door card. I used the opportunity to fix the door pocket whose plastic weld had become damaged in one place. A bit of judicious use of a soldering iron sorted the weld

tn_DSC_0846.JPG

....and here's the inside of the door
                  tn_DSC_0847.JPG

Before doing the wiring, I also used the opportunity to replace the door window end seals, Audi Tradition now remake these components. I bought two sets - I guess you have fitted yours by now, Alex.
                  tn_DSC_0848.JPG

You can see the very poor state of the old ones compared to the new ones.
                  tn_DSC_0849.JPG

The tabs on some of the old ones had actually broken and i used a small screwdriver to poke out the remnants
                  tn_DSC_0850.JPG

Fitting the rear seal was completed with a bit of petroleum jelly and some pliers
                  tn_DSC_0851.JPG tn_DSC_0852.JPG

Here's the rear seal fitted
                  tn_DSC_0853.JPG

The front seal was in no better condition - you can see the cracks in the old one
                  tn_DSC_0854.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    Stickified! Nice write-up John
                    Cheers Now for the best bit

Comment

OK here is the magic bit of kit that we need to link the coupe wiring to the RS2 mirror, part number 8A0 972 235 A. They are a bit pricey to buy but you can make them up yourself by re-using the S2 cables and fitting the RS2 mirror connector
                      tn_DSC_0855.JPG

Start by prising apart the connector in the centre of the door
                      tn_DSC_0857.JPG

Then snip the cable tie wraps by following the S2 mirror wiring around the door, which goes from the centre to the bottom of the door then curves upwards through a plastic piece toward the front of the door and towards the door mirror orifice
                      tn_DSC_0858.JPG tn_DSC_0859.JPG tn_DSC_0860.JPG tn_DSC_0861.JPG tn_DSC_0862.JPG tn_DSC_0863.JPG

Making sure that you have some spare cable at the mirror end (but not too much) fit the RS2 cable in the reverse manner by starting at the mirror end. Here is the finished result.
                      tn_DSC_0864.JPG

Comment

This is the next magic bit....the adaptor plate. Part number 8A0 858 551
                        tn_DSC_0865.JPG

The star of the show.....the mirror all freshly painted with the foam gasket and the mirror glass, which is heated by connecting the two brown wires to the terminals on the wider (inside) edge of the mirror. The mirror is fitted by placing it on the rubbers of the mirror base and then using a small screw driver through the bottom hole of the mirror base move the locking ring on the back of the mirror glass. You can see the four notches in the locking ring at the very right hand side of the photo. These notches are used in conjunction with the screwdriver to turn the locking ring a few degrees.
                        tn_DSC_0866.JPG

These three bolts hold the mirror on. The smaller one (Part number N 905 909 01) locates the adaptor using the front mirror bolt hole exposed right at the start of this thread. The two longer ones (Part number N 103 259 01) go right through the mirror base. One goes through the base and then through the rear mirror bolt hole. The other goes through the Rs2 mirror base and then through the middle hole of the adaptor.
                        tn_DSC_0867.JPG

Comment

OK so pull out the extra cable you left for the mirror and locate the rear of adaptor using the long bolt. I used a touch of copper grease here.
                          tn_DSC_0868.JPG

Then take the shorter bolt and tighten up fully in the front hole. The adaptor is now in place
                          tn_DSC_0869.JPG

We now need to enlarge the door orifice at its front edge to be able to fit the RS2 mirror base

Stick masking tape over the front of the orifice and use the foam gasket (making sure it is the correct one for the side) as a template to test fit the mirror base.
                          tn_DSC_0870.JPG

This is process of trial end error and using a dremel or similar tool, take off the minimum amount of material to be able to fit the base. You want the RS2 mirror base to be a snug fit in the enlarged orifice, like so.
                          tn_DSC_0871.JPG

Fit the mirror on the foam remembering to remove the self-adhesive strip and using the two long bolts, fix the mirror to the car, having first twisted the mirror in its base to expose the bolt holes.
                          tn_DSC_0872.JPG

Fit the plastic bolt cap to the bolt that fits through the middle of the mirror base / adaptor. I used the equivalent Porsche part number 999 703 137 40 to the Audi part number a8A0 857 537
                          tn_DSC_0873.JPG

Twist the mirror into its operational position and enjoy
                          tn_DSC_0874.JPG

It had gone dark by the time I finished!
                          tn_DSC_0875.JPG

Each to their own but I really like these teardrop mirrors. Some say there is vibration in them but I have not found this to be the case and was conscious of this when enlarging the door orifice to make sure the mirror was firmly connected to the car.

Comment

Subd

Comment

Ace write up

Comment

Working...
                              X