No announcement yet.

Rocker cover, painting powder coating??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker cover, painting powder coating??

Who has done what with their rocker covers?

Car is off the road so seems like a sensible thing to do. So who has painted it from a can themselves, powder coated, does it get too hot, or ceramic coated?

I'm not the sort of person to polish it but have seen a titanium grey ceramic coating that looks good and should be very durable. Looking to get the Wagner EM ceramic coated before it goes on.

IMO the easiest DIY option is the VHT crinkle finish paint. Hides any imperfections and is cheap and hard wearing. Depends on what you like the look of really.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I had mine soda blasted then painted with 2k
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by montyrs2 View Post
        Who has done what with their rocker covers?
        I think if you have a "rocker" cover, you have the wrong engine. No push rods and rockers activating a 3B/AAN/ABY/ADU 20VT engine here. Now "cam cover", i.e. a head cover that, when first removed, exposes the overhead cams that activate the valves from above, via hydraulic cam followers, then I would say the most beautiful one is that done by Tom S. of RS2 America fame. He powder coated his and sanded of the power coating on the "20V turbo" script

Attached Files
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

This is mine, powder coated

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3b&oe=585B7DE9
          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

not cam cover but other bits powder coated
            Attached Files
            ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
            THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

on the car and i also had the rs2 exhaust manifold ceramic coated but dont have a pic sorry
              Attached Files
              ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
              THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Have to say, I prefer the bare aluminium look like from factory...

Comment

As I was on budget, I painted my engine bits with high temp paint, and it will get dirty pretty easily. If you can, powder coating is best imho, lasts ages, and easy to maintain.
                  '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                  '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                    As I was on budget, I painted my engine bits with high temp paint, and it will get dirty pretty easily. If you can, powder coating is best imho, lasts ages, and easy to maintain.
                    Yours looks damn good. I painted my 7A cam cover a few years back, fairing up not too badly.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                      Yours looks damn good. I painted my 7A cam cover a few years back, fairing up not too badly.
                      It just stains easily. But then again, nothing a rug with some petrol can't fix.
                      '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                      '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I think I will try a wrinkle VHT paint as it's the cheapest option. Have a mate with a red on his inlet manifold and looks decent. Just need to wait until the missus is out so I can bake it in the oven to cure.

Plus if it turns out bad it can be easily shot blasted off before powder coating.

Comment

I've used VHT paint on mine, smooth not wrinkled though, went on easily and seems to be lasting well
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I have done powdercoat with wrinkle red, look at my thread...
                            1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                            2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                            2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                            2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

Originally posted by Wrath View Post
                              I have done powdercoat with wrinkle red, look at my thread...
                              Took me awhile. Page 9 :http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=57461&page=9

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                              X