Finally put my hand in my pocket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally put my hand in my pocket.

After previously owning a couple of S2s and then buying Bernard's UrS6 18 months ago to scratch the 20vt itch (It did for a while). I finally put my hand in my pocket and bought another S2, I thought with the way prices are going, if I didn't do it now I might never get another chance.

I bought the car off Chris M, it was advertised on here and mechanically it is an absolute credit to him and drives like a new one!

There are 2 minor issues from my point of view, firstly, it has the boring 4 spoke airbag wheel, I love the Nardi wheel but realise this would lose the airbag. My S6 has the 3 spoke airbag wheel, would these be a straight swap?

Secondly, the S2 has some very slight bodywork issues. It has previously had new front wings which are a slightly different shade as you can see in the pic, it doesn't stand out that much normally. There are a few other minor spots on it so my mate has agreed to do a bottom half respray at mates rates.

He would like to take off the bottom rubbers and also the plastic rubbing strips on the doors, does anyone have a guide or advice to doing either?

The pics are of the wings looking their worst and the other is from a small show I went to last weekend, the S2 got more attention than the 997!
    Attached Files

Nice looking car that, I think silver suits the estates very well.
    The minor issues are very minor

Was that the "noggin" you were at?

Comment

It was yeh. There was only a dozen or so there but the weather had been shocking that morning. I'll go again next year.

Comment

Not sure on the model year Plate/Reg stuff in the UK, but in North America if your car was a 1995 (produced after August 1994) it will be a direct fit, three spoke wheel to a car that had four spoke. I have done this on my 1996 Cabriolet and a 1995 80 Estate which was built in November 1994. Earlier cars will require modification of the clock spring and or spline adapters. Good luck.

Comment

BTW, nice car. Those Swing wheels do stand out.

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the wheels to start with but they have grown on me massively!

When you changed steering wheels did you diconeect the battery or is there another way of isolating the airbag?

Comment

I've removed my steering wheels many times without disconnecting the battery, probably foolish on my part, but others have always warned that it should be done. I don't see any harm in disconnecting the battery (it is not rocket science), so now that I've been scared, I'd do it next time.

Comment

Originally posted by raccabuda View Post

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the wheels to start with but they have grown on me massively!
                Agreed they do look good.

Originally posted by raccabuda View Post

My S6 has the 3 spoke airbag wheel, would these be a straight swap?
                I wouldn't be taking parts off the Digger.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...777#post844777

Maybe you could get one from a B4 Cabriolet or another S2 being parted ?

Last edited by macspring; 14 November 2016, 21:56.

Comment

Well done on your purchase thats a damn good looking S2 Avant

Comment

Thanks gents!

Macspring, the S6 was originally supplied with the 4 spoke wheel and was changed by Bernard now I think about it so it would be going back to original, I kow what you mean though and I'm planning on keeping "Digger" so another 3 spoke wheel is probably the best idea.

Has anyone any advice on removing the door trims for paint (bottom and middle) as my pal wants to crack on with it this weekend if possible.

Cheers.

Comment

Nice car you bought, should make a good investment nowadays but fun to drive at first ofcourse

I have a 3-spoke airbag wheel incl. the column covers of which I thought you need for the swap?

Comment

Disconnect the battery for half an hour first.
                        Keeps your face and ears as when you started the day
                        Lower black trims slide off with persuasion
                        Other trims are stuck on so have to be removed very carefully so don't bend
                        I use a sharp wall paper scraper and rubber mallet. Doesn't help the paint though u less you are really careful
                        I was told once to use fishing line but never tried it

Comment

On the subject of air-bag wheels.

Can a non air-bag S2 3-spoke wheel be fitted in place of an air-bag wheel.

Not interested in the legalities and happy to remove the bulb....... and refit the correct wheel (and bulb!) at MOT time. What I'm asking is, are the splines the same and will the horn electrics be ok??

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                            On the subject of air-bag wheels.

Can a non air-bag S2 3-spoke wheel be fitted in place of an air-bag wheel.

Not interested in the legalities and happy to remove the bulb....... and refit the correct wheel (and bulb!) at MOT time. What I'm asking is, are the splines the same and will the horn electrics be ok??

Thanks.
                            my 3b had an airbag wheel but dont know if it was modified. if not onther way goes also..

Comment

Working...
                            X