s6 avant doors wont shut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s6 avant doors wont shut

Having a strange problem with doors on my s6 avant .
    started with the drivers door not shutting every time.
    Now the drivers side passenger door wont shut. It seems to be linked to the central
    locking as it only happens when I first unlock it,although the back door wont catch whatever I do.
    There is no key fob, you have to turn the key once to open the drivers door ,and a second time to open all doors.
    I have it tied uo with string at the moment so any advise will be appreciated.

Have you tried lubricating the door catch with some WD40/GT85, perhaps they're just sticking?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post

Have you tried lubricating the door catch with some WD40/GT85, perhaps they're just sticking?
      Would be my first thought also, but strange that a number of doors are acting up at the same time.

I'm thinking the central locking only locks / unlocks the locks, the door handle operates the opening mechanism ?

Interested to know what the cure is.

GT85 is my personal choice between the two suggestions.

Thanks.

Comment

No luck with lubrication. Guess I will have to take the doorcards of.

Comment

My allroad does the same. For me WD-40 helps for a short time, but it does not cure it for long. From what I have read it is simplest to just replace the door lock mechanism. It will also fix the the open/closed switch which isn't working in the passenger door on my allroad, since it is build in. These are the ones I bought, but I haven't fitted them yet.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/331974569646?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.de/itm/331648311829?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
          sigpic
          Audi S4 20VT 11.453@121.62

Comment

I have encountered this at around this time of year on the C4 type. I think it's down to lack of use and the colder weather which has caused me this very problem.It took plenty of white grease in spray form to sort out the problem but thankfully it's not returned and been fine ever since.
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

BTDT. Bought mine after it was stood for 2 years and drivers door just wouldn't open from inside. So I took the whole mechanism off and it was siezed solid, loads of WD40 and loads of moving about and it came loose. So just take it off and get it cleaned and lubricated properly.
              '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
              '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I used to own a C5 A6, And the drivers door used to be a pain to close from time to time, It had a faulty microswitch, Not sure f the C4 have the same door catch
                Urs6 avant nogaro
                s2 avant

Comment

C4's don't have a microswitch on the door locks.
                  94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Are you sure Vorsprung durch Technik?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A6-C4...-/291655667888
                    Urs6 avant nogaro
                    s2 avant

Comment

Obviously not!

Well i'm blown.... i should have looked at mine,just have and i'm surprised it's as modern as that tbh. In any case,for me and i suspect many others, the microswitch has never been the problem, just a gunked up mechanism.

Did you manage to sell your car in the end ?
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I wasn't sure good old google!, No I didn't sell it, I'm planning on turning it in to a log shelter. The boot is so big, And it's a shame to see all my logs getting wet
                        Urs6 avant nogaro
                        s2 avant

Comment

Originally posted by imp998 View Post
                          I wasn't sure good old google!, No I didn't sell it, I'm planning on turning it in to a log shelter. The boot is so big, And it's a shame to see all my logs getting wet
                          What??

Did you not get any takers at £6,500?
                          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

No Mate, And looking at the price of the ones at the other side of the pond, I'm glad it didn't sell. It's like a love hate relationship, I love the car, But I like prefer small nippy cars, I had many years of embarrassing more powerful cars in my Hillman imp's, Ok not everybody's cup of tea, But they did win the touring car championships 3 years on the trot, And it was privately entered. Clocked at 135mph from a 1.0cc
                            Urs6 avant nogaro
                            s2 avant

Comment

Hillman imps as you say "not everyones cup of tea" But what ever makes you smile as they say. I've seen a couple S6 noggie estates up recently for £6.5 in less than perfect condition not sell which makes me think for now at least the ceiling seams to have been reached here or it might be too close to end of the year.It will probably sell come April though.
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X