Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellipsoid looking terrible

Alright lads,

Whipped my passenger side Ellipsoid out last night to give the reflector a clean, wish i hadn't bothered now as the chrome has come away badly.

I guess the headlight was past it's best anyway with the chrome in this area peeling away and in need of change really.

Now then, is there a modern, cost effective way of re-chroming these or is it the case of sourcing decent second hand ones?

Cheers
    Gordon
    Attached Files

See this thread

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82850

Not cheap though.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Eric,

you may not have had occassion to look during your S2 Avant refurb, but do you know if there is a company on this Island that provides this service ?

Not a deal breaker, but curious nonetheless, thanks either way.

Comment

I dont have any first hand experience. I will have when I get back to the avant next year, as I have a spare set of reflectors to rechrome.
        http://www.wechrome.com/ seem to come up from time to time on car forums. Might be worth a call.
        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I've just sent an email to wechrome.com so i'll see what they come back. Be good if we can find somewhere to have them done at a reasonable price.

Comment

Thanks Eric, for once a place mentioned is near me. May be able to call in in person next to see what's what.

🤔

Comment

Or try here.... http://www.dual-metallising.co.uk/

Comment

Blimey that Dual Metalizing's prices have shot up judging by that link posted
                I used these about 6 years ago when I managed to wipe off a lot of my chrome on my ellipsoids with a light duster

Ok, it was about 6 years ago and I paid around £65 but £290 for the pair !!
                There is another place I phoned that are up in Birmingham but do you think I can find their number ! This 'other' place where cheaper (back then) than Dual but it was for a pair, whereas Dual will do them singly.
                For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

While we're all sensitive to cost, I would say that I took my UrS6 headlights apart and even though they were very fresh, so much so I was able to clean / 'wipe' them with cotton wool balls without wrecking the silver whilst still removing the dust and that together with washing the glass lenses did make a difference to both the look of the headlights and the output of the lights.

Having said that I've wiped older plastic lights back in the day when I was even more inexperienced than now and the silver wiped off almost before I knew it had.

If anyone gets prices themselves they might post the price here to allow others to know if they're getting a good price where they're based.

Last edited by macspring; 18 December 2016, 21:54.

Comment

Working...
                  X