Door won't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door won't open

So... Back in October I had the embarrassing moment where my door wouldn't open at a petrol station. I completely forgot and just went to get in and just confronted with disappointment!

It sounds like the lock is activating and the handle goes to full travel. Can hear the catch moving but it's stuck shut.

Any ideas or tips?!
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Probably the plastic bush on the linkage rod is deformed meaning the handle doesn't actuate the lock properly - you can adjust it as well.
    Need to get the door open and remove the door card though.... will it open from inside?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Mine did the same u can still take the door card off enough to get your hand behind it and it's the rod that hasn't moved enough to open the latch, on mine I toot the B pilar trim off pulled the door rubber back and got it

Comment

I had a similar problem on my RS4, it was the little metal pin had fallen out of the push rods. Even more frustrating as it was a rear door with child locks on..

Comment

won't open from inside or out.

Dont think you can get the door card off, there's a screw on the side face of the door card (i.e in the shut...). I'll try taking the B-pillar trim off and see if that work.

I've definitely had it open since the first incidence if I remember correctly...hopefully it will decide to work again and I can strip it down!

Comment

Originally posted by willg54 View Post
            won't open from inside or out.

Dont think you can get the door card off, there's a screw on the side face of the door card (i.e in the shut...). I'll try taking the B-pillar trim off and see if that work.

I've definitely had it open since the first incidence if I remember correctly...hopefully it will decide to work again and I can strip it down!
            It's must come off I got mine off not completely just the size take the B post travel off and pull back the door rubber

Comment

Different on a coupe though mate
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Have you tried pushing the door closed whilst you pull the handle?

Door card

Lock

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Got it open! Not sure why it wasn't opening. Leant against it while opening and it did the trick.

Had it all apart and can't see anything obvious. Lubed up everything and it seems to be working fine! I'm sure it'll stop again at the least appropriate time!

Comment

Could it be the striker pin adjustment. Or more likely the hinges throwing striker out of alignment

Comment

I'm sure it'll stop again at the least appropriate time![/QUOTE]
                      You mean when you want to get in it and go somewhere.

Comment

I had problems with the latch a few years back where the latch wasn't closing fully. I replaced the latch and adjusted the door. Has the door dropped?
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

had this again today embarrassingly at a bodyshop mid-quote. The bloke pulled the handle as I opened the car... seems that if you pull the handle with it locked it doesn't quite return enough so that when you unlock it, it won't open. Had my hand inside the door card when I finally opened it, locking the car, pull the lever up, un lock and she's a good un.

Ordered a replacement lock. Any one got a guide on how to change it? Not sure how it comes apart from looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                          X