Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avant / RS2 quarter windows

Hi Everyone
    Does anyone know what Audi used to bond in the quarter windows ?, Was it just normal sealer the same as the screens or butyl 10mm seal tape similar to the rear lights. When i took the glass out the sealer was really really neat
    1995 RS2 Nogaro
    1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
    1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Does anyone know what Audi used to bond in the quarter windows ?, Was it just normal sealer the same as the screens or butyl 10mm seal tape similar to the rear lights. When i took the glass out the sealer was really really neat
    Paul,

I understood it was the same as the windscreen ! Have heard a tradesman of tigerseal ?

Would be interested in how you removed the window, I need to do the same to have some bodywork done, how is the outer seal removed ???

Paul

Comment

The rear quarter windows are sealed using RTV, same as the front window.

There is rubber trim that surrounds the glass. I think I have some pics on my project thread.

Comment

Very carefully
        First you have to remove c pillar trim which gives you access to the rivits which are used to locate 3 clips along the front edge of the glass which locates the glass along this edge. There is a 4th rivet at the bottom which holds the front edge of the seal along the bottom of the glass, Just drill the rivet out, don't try pulling the seal at the bottom.
        The seal is rubber covering an aluminium channel along the bottom and fitted to the bottom of the 1/4 glass before installation and stays attached to the glass. The rest is rubber and goes 3/4 round the glass and can be easily be pulled out starting at the top of the C pillar. Peeling it back now gives you access to the back, top and front of the glass. Removing it I used a combination of wire and a pull knife to do the bottom of the glass from the inside, google glass removal tools or youtube and there are plenty of videos,
        Don't break the clips at the front of the glass as they are NLA and there is a small rubber spacer block at roughly the 10 OClock position
        Much easier than front or rear screen to remove
        Hope that helps
        1995 RS2 Nogaro
        1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
        1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
          Very carefully
          First you have to remove c pillar trim which gives you access to the rivits which are used to locate 3 clips along the front edge of the glass which locates the glass along this edge. There is a 4th rivet at the bottom which holds the front edge of the seal along the bottom of the glass, Just drill the rivet out, don't try pulling the seal at the bottom.
          The seal is rubber covering an aluminium channel along the bottom and fitted to the bottom of the 1/4 glass before installation and stays attached to the glass. The rest is rubber and goes 3/4 round the glass and can be easily be pulled out starting at the top of the C pillar. Peeling it back now gives you access to the back, top and front of the glass. Removing it I used a combination of wire and a pull knife to do the bottom of the glass from the inside, google glass removal tools or youtube and there are plenty of videos,
          Don't break the clips at the front of the glass as they are NLA and there is a small rubber spacer block at roughly the 10 OClock position
          Much easier than front or rear screen to remove
          Hope that helps
          Perfect Paul. Thank you.

P

Comment

Working...
          X