Boost pressure testing kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost pressure testing kit

Evenin' all. What with it being crimbo 'n' all work was fairly quiet today so i used the spare time to make some improvements on my homemade boost leak test kit.
    I've had a boost leak on my old 3B in the past and found the hose at fault using the kit and a tyre inflator. The boost pressure test kit i have is one i made up from used parts lying around. Before i bodged up the pressure test kit i'd replaced a front wheel bearing on the S2 and the outer race/housing is a good snug fit in the maf inlet pipe. I knocked the centre race and bearings out of it welded on a cap with a drilled hole in the middle then put a schrader valve in. The bung i used for the oil breather further down the intake hose was actually the 17mm hex gearbox level bung tool. The bung for the turbo pipe at the top of the engine is another smaller bearing race with a cap welded on to seal it up.
    Seemed to work well, only trouble i had was trying to introduce pressure to the turbo pipework with one hand while hunting for the leak and trying not to accidently put too much pressure in. I know i should just fit samco's but they're pricey and i cant afford them right now.
    Next i bought a cheap old stock airline regulator on Ebay thinking this would make life easier in the future incase there's nobody else about to lend a hand, so just set it to the required pressure leaving both hands free - thus enabling me to stand there and hold a cigarette and a mug of tea while it leaked from 'somewhere'
    Even better would be to buy a smoke machine but they're mega bucks. So today i fabricated(?) this up to see if it i could get some smoke going.

Towards the bottom of the canister is a diesel glow plug that sits in the oil and burns it off giving the smoke. On the side is the regualtor with airline fitting. Black hose takes the reduced pressure into the can' then forces smoke through the outlet pipe at the top on the left which hooks up to the pressure test kit.

A quick trial with some random oil poured in and a battery jump pack powering the glow plug and it worked but the smoke was minimal but, nothing blew my face off ....

Nice upgrade to the normal boost kits.

Comment

...after confirming the idea worked i was told baby oil or similar is what most people chuck in the disco type smoke machines so i popped to tesco to get some. Jokes were made about my trip to the shop to buy loads of baby oil so i picked up a Yorkie Bar and some Mcoys at the same time to even things out

Baby oil was a big improvement on the smoke density. Another improvement to be made is a couple more glow plugs at different heights near the bottom of the can. Ive not actually tried it on the car yet which im sure is leaking boost pressure from somewhere. If it doesnt then ive wasted about 8 quid.

This was only knocked up quickly hence the shabby appearance

Oh and merry Christmas

Comment

Nice work! I've used one of these for boost leak testing and it works a treat so persevere and get it working

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smoke-Pro-...item414333217c
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Working...
        X