Homemade downpipe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade downpipe!

Hi, I'm planning to fabricate my own downpipe from stainless, I have a Mig welder and stainless wire. Is it ok to use standard 3" stainless exhaust pipe (1,6mm thickness I think?) or should it be made from heavier gauge pipes?

Want to give it a try and see if I can make a decent DP or if becomes a piece of junk
    Leif-Helge
    -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
    -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

i hope you have enough pipe for a few f**k ups.
    not easy to fabricate the dp,you probably need to practice and practice and more practice before attempting it.
    i did it,but boy was it hard going.if your not a patient guy then i suggest you get a pro to do it for you
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]92 3B pearl white=gone back home to Germany,probably in bits and pieces

RS2 VOLCANO BLACK] soon to be broken to bits

Comment

my advice (take it or leave it )

1.6 will be fine. 2mm is better for down pipes though. You will need to pulse weld it with a mig (as you would welding body panels etc) You won't be doing any runs. Dont leave any japs around the joints either otherwise you'll be making hard work for yourself when you come to seam round it

Use mandrel bends where you can rather than trying to cut and shut straight. Make it as simple as you can with as few joints as possible.

its much easier to make down pipes on a 2 post/4 post lift, doing it on the driveway would be tricky. I would loose the CV boot guard; If you work around it you will end up with the tube being really low to the ground.

tie the bottom of the down pipe to the gearbox solidly, then put your flexi joint afterwards.

If your not confident welding, then you could always tack it up and take it to a local welding shop to get it all seamed up.

hth

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a garage at least, i'm trying this as an exercise to better my welding skills. I'm an amateur at welding but I like doing it, especially when the results gets better..
        Leif-Helge

Comment

I just made a 3" dowpipe for mine, just using my MIG, was ok, not the prettiest but does the job. I used stainless wire but think it welds better with copper.

Comment

you need the right gas to weld stainless or the weld will be s***

Comment

Originally posted by Bullysteeth View Post
              you need the right gas to weld stainless or the weld will be s***
              Thanks for the tip, I have the right mixture, did some welding a while earlier with decent results. I also have been tipped about a good welder locally, maybe I'll outsource the job..
              Leif-Helge

Comment

Working...
              X