Rollcage Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollcage Advice

I am after a bit of advice in regards to putting a cage in my typ8590.
    I have no previous experiance of rollcages and am wanting some information before i get started, my car will be built for track and drag use so i want to know the best choice for material grade, tubing diameter & thickness? What parameters are around making the cage to spec?
    I am yet to decide if i will buy a weld in kit, buy and bend the tubing myself or take my shell to a fabricator to complete the work start to finish, some advice there would be great in regards to price.
    And some general rule of thumb/theory behind cage design please!

I quite fancy tying the cage into all 4 struts too

If it's for competition then you need to look at the MSA Blue Book for rules.

Weld in or fabricator and a company will advise on best practice.

You need load spreading plates and 40 or 45mm tube. There are a few material specs, depending on how much you want to soend.

Have a search, there are some threads on here with links.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

We design all our cages with cad software and use a Baileigh bender to bend the material accurately.

If you follow the bluebook you shouldn't go wrong in terms of what you can use although fitting the cages in a particular order does take some practice as getting the torch into certain areas can understandably be a bit of a pain.

Comment

Read appendix j of FIA.All you need to know you find there.Materials,method of building.Tested and worth following that info.
        Rollcages can be conform with FIA or homologated.Be careful at welding and bending.Special tool needed for bending.Can make one(300-500 eur) or buy one.
        Never use tubing that is formed from a sheet of steel.Just seamless steel should be used.

Comment

Is there not a Safety Devices FIA approved cage available for the 8590q? We've got the Ur one in the wreck and it ticks all the boxes for club level shenanigans...
          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

what i worked from is 120cm square surface area for foot plates 3mm thick plate od of tube 44mm minimum fia allows 1.6 mm wall minimum

material for cage i used cds cold drawn seamless but there is also a hydraulic cds this is too soft forget the actual grade but google is you friend, hub le bar are the best people to speak to minimum order of £200 ish and will be special ordered.

if bending at home with ebay press bender you will need to put a seam of weld on the inside outer most edge of the die to make a snug fit or the tube will deform and create a flat spot rather than stretch

my a pillar 44.2 x1.6 b pillar 50mm x2mm and the rest 44.2 x2mm
            Last edited by here2learn; 22 April 2013, 09:20. Reason: poor spelling

Comment

http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollcag...e=6%20PointTry

Comment

Blue book minimum specs were 50x2mm or 45x2.5mm for all tubing. That was then changed just include the basic 6 point bars. With the rest now what the FIA spec at either 38x2.5mm or 40x2mm. Anything less than that unless its a proper tested cage wont pass.

Comment

Originally posted by here2learn View Post
                  what i worked from is 120cm square surface area for foot plates 3mm thick plate od of tube 44mm minimum fia allows 1.6 mm wall minimum

material for cage i used cds cold drawn seamless but there is also a hydraulic cds this is too soft forget the actual grade but google is you friend, hub le bar are the best people to speak to minimum order of £200 ish and will be special ordered.

if bending at home with ebay press bender you will need to put a seam of weld on the inside outer most edge of the die to make a snug fit or the tube will deform and create a flat spot rather than stretch

my a pillar 44.2 x1.6 b pillar 50mm x2mm and the rest 44.2 x2mm
                  I never saw 1.6 in appendix j of fia.
                  You can bend with an ebay bender if right one is used.Or make one to bend and be in the tolerances for flat areas of fia.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Loads of photos in my facebook albums of weld in and bolt in cages. No specific regs for club days but there is for track racing and stage rally make sure it is right. I presume you will be in the car and it is not always you that causes the accident!
                    sigpic
                    Pembo
                    quattro - Original 4WD rallying
                    Rally Car photos

Comment

WWW.chizfab.com

I text Campbell this but its worth knowing if in Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                      X