Integrated MAF pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrated MAF pipe

Thought I'd revive this section of the forum with a little pic of this maf pipe I've been working on. I'm moving the maf to the pressure side on my aby and have made this to stop any pipes blowing off. Total ripoff of DJones ' idea ( thanks for the advice btw).

Stainless pipe with mild steel mount

[/URL]

Very nice. Are you going to bead the ends of the tube?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Very nice. Are you going to bead the ends of the tube?
      Yea

Comment

Cool, have you got a bead roller or another solution?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nice.

Do you want to make another one? If so, how much?
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
            Nice.

Do you want to make another one? If so, how much?
            Yea sure, drop me a pm

Comment

Ok, will do after work, this computer does not do pm for some reason.

Or if you can PM me a price, I will get it after work.

Thanks
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Pressure testing

[/URL]

Comment

Nice job....😄😄

Comment

1. Due to the air moving backwards when dropping off the throttle at times, the MAF wire won't last long.
                    2. The readings are all over the place, because of rapid temperature jumps that the MAF is not designed for.
                    3. The MAF slowly but surely starts reading lean due to oil contamination - even if the breather is fully disconnected from the intake, there is still usually at least some oil getting pushed through the turbo on cold start.

There's a reason why OEM's don't put MAF's on the pressure side - they are not designed to be used there.

Probably some random person is going to jump in in a couple seconds and say that "but it works fine" - one proper datalog will show that it isn't.
                    http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

I'm trying to see the benefits of doing this, care to explain?

Comment

I was discussing exactly this scenario with Steve and others about Doug's highly modified S2 - he has the MAF on pressure side - right in front of the throttle body... where you'd expect to get a massive reverse pressure wave on gear changes that you'd think would rip the wire off in no time. Doug says he has no such problems and that the reverse pressure is much worse when MAF is located ahead of the turbo.

Doug's car runs with a very nice crankcase vent & catch-can system so he avoids the oil contamination problems that would otherwise occur on the pressure side.
                        He also runs two dump valves that vent to atmosphere on the input side of the intercooler so that must be helping minimise the reverse pressure wave.

The 'works fine' statement seems to apply here, but I too am surprised by how that is the case just with the sheer volume of air blowing thru it - he dyno'd 690bhp on this beast
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

It must be something tuners don't like, I remember back in the day when Graham ( techno430?? ) first had this idea and him and Mihnea got in a massive row about it!
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

The MAF is maxed at 400-ish hp anyway, so that car is just mapped alpha-n if it is running a MAF.
                            All stoneage methods though. I map all higher powered cars without a MAF these days.

There is a reason I say what I say, might have something to do with the triple digit number of different 2.2T cars mapped. You are free to disregard it however.
                            As the saying goes - smart people learn from other's mistakes.
                            http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Yea it depends on the tuner I suppose. Mine certainly runs better with the pressure maf.

Comment

Working...
                              X