Mig welder recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig welder recommendations?

I'm getting fed up with relying on friends for basic metal fab work and repairs, so I'm considering getting a mig welder of my own.
    I wonder if anyone here has any recommendations for good value for money start up kit, or any other relevant advice.
    I have lots of experience of seeing welding being done, but no actual first hand practical experience.

TIA.
    SS

If you need a light portable welding machine with easy pre setted setting for different materials(of course custom settings are possible) then I think one of the best would be Kemppi MinarcMig EVO 200. It's so easy to use, that if you can't weld with it, then you shouldn't weld at all.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Although I have no experience of R-Tech, they do seem to be well liked on this forum especially for TIG.
      They do MIG too http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/weldi...nt/mig-welder/

I use a SIP Turbo MIG 195 myself. It must be nearly 20years old at this stage and still works fine.
      Some of the cheaper migs use plastic feed liners and these wear out and you start getting stuttering and splattering welds.

For GAS I previously rented the bottle and get it filled, but as I wasn't using it often I
      have switched to rent free Hobbyweld. Refundable deposit on the bottle and 35euro a fill.
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I say like Thuppu, i have a Minarcmig Evo 200 myself. Wery easy to use and the will always be spareparts for it in the future. I'm wery happy with mine at least.

Comment

I use an old SIP myself, seems to keep on plodding on and I get good results with it after learning how to set it up

However as Thuppu says you really can't go wrong with a Kemmpi, a mate recently got one and it's a doddle to use, just enter in the material, thickness and desired weld form and it set's itself up for you. You should be able to suss it out in an a hour or so.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

In Estonia this is called Kemppi diff, so i guess it says a thing or two about the manufacturer popularity

Comment

Lol - I've not seen anyone do that in nearly 30yrs. Last time was on a friends old Mk2 "lanyard" as they say round here. It was a night navigation / rally car - we spent most of the night looking out side windows - up until the point where one oversteer correction broke the drivers thumb.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Zoig, that is "Kemppi lukko" also here in finland.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Hi Stu

I've got a small Snap-on turbo 130 mig welder that's been fantastic.
                  It's made by Cebora.
                  Taken care of all the welding I needed on my kitcar.

Best of all I picked it up off eBay for under £100.

Matt
                  Ex owner of a 1993 Silver Avant - RS2 spec.
                  2002 A8 sport 2.8 quattro Sold
                  2003 A6 Avant Tdi
                  Mk Indy 2.0 pinto circa 160 Bhp
                  2004 VW Caddy SDi
                  2002 Civic Type R

Comment

Have a look at thermalarc 181i.had my one for 3year now can't say a bad word about it.

Comment

I have a thermal arc 3 in 1 211. It does tig mig and arc. V handy.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. I followed Matt's lead and got myself a used Snap-on turbo 130 for £100.
                        I just need to sort out some gas, and I will have a play.
                        SS

Comment

Working...
                        X