Best way to use the Air-con on an S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to use the Air-con on an S2

I've only used the air-con to 'chill' the car during the summer months, but give it a quick run now and then in the winter to keep it all working.

Talking to a mate the other day and he uses the air-con in conjunction with the heater (like a primitive climate control) and has the thing on all the time. I was sceptical about this because it seems a) silly to heat the system whilst trying to cool it. b) not good for the power output/fuel economy and c) puts unnecessary usage on the air-con.

But the more I think about it the more I wonder what's actually best for the longevity of the system.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Ian
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

I try to not use mine even in the summer, You can watch the fuel gauge go down (literally) with the AC on, although i must admit there have been a couple of days when it has been nice to have it on, but i would never use it as a climate control in conj. with the heating

Matt
    Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

Comment

I run mine constantly, it keeps the car dry(er) and mist-free during the damp winter months... It does kill fuel consumption though as mentioned above, it's definitlely worth a few mpg. It is best for the system to be used constantly to prevent seals drying out etc. However, in really cold weather (below 4C) the system automatically disables the AC function as the outside air is too cold to be chilled.
      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Lads, the key to this is you must run AC in the winter unless you want it to fail. If the temp is high enough you should run it at least an hour per week.
        This allows coolant to circulate, the pump to get exercise and the seals to be lubricated.............otherwise you put on in the warmth of spring and 'pop goes the seal' or is that weasel.
        Alastair
        RS2

Comment

Oh and as Dan says even when not cooling the condensor is removing moisture and the collant lubricating the seals
          Alastair
          RS2

Comment

YES - it is good practise to run the aircon in winter months to keep the system lubricated. Of course if the air is *too* cold it won't engage the compressor, but its not like every winter day is that cold all that time.

Paul
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
            X