Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Temp Issues

Hi All,

My car in the current 5c whether will hit 90+3 notches and kick the fan in for 10 seconds or so to keep it on the 3rd notch. I think this is stage 2, it's loud but not mega loud in the sense some people describe it as a jet.

I think the Stage 1 fan might not be kicking in, with the AC button pressed the fan will run nonstop, would this rule out the resistor pack leaving just thr relay and sensor?

Also is it a 3 pin sensor for the rad switch? Both parts are less than £10 each so might as well order both.

Cheers!

That sounds like the fan switch on radiator isn't working properly, I'd try a new one of them first before changing anything else, the fan is supposed to run non stop with the AC on as far as I'm aware.

I always change one part at a time when trying to sort an issue like this as then you know what the problem was, the resistor packs rarely fail though.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
      That sounds like the fan switch on radiator isn't working properly, I'd try a new one of them first before changing anything else, the fan is supposed to run non stop with the AC on as far as I'm aware.

I always change one part at a time when trying to sort an issue like this as then you know what the problem was, the resistor packs rarely fail though.
      Cheers!

is the switch easy to get to?

Comment

Yep it's an easy job, the fan switch is located in the bottom end tank of the Rad at the back on the passenger side, you'll need a decent size bowl ready to catch the coolant, I use a bog standard washing up bowl. So it's an under tray (if fitted) off job, can be done easily lying on the floor, no need to jack the car up.

Just checked mine and it's three pin.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
          Yep it's an easy job, the fan switch is located in the bottom end tank of the Rad at the back on the passenger side, you'll need a decent size bowl ready to catch the coolant, I use a bog standard washing up bowl. So it's an under tray (if fitted) off job, can be done easily lying on the floor, no need to jack the car up.

Just checked mine and it's three pin.
          Thank you very much!

I'll get one ordered and see how I get on. Hopefully between this and the ISV itll be fully sorted and ready for Germany!

Comment

Also check the wires down there especially if you have no undertray. Water gets in and corrosion works up the wires.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
              Also check the wires down there especially if you have no undertray. Water gets in and corrosion works up the wires.
              I had the car on the ramps the other day and can't even remember if it had an undertray ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan94 View Post

I had the car on the ramps the other day and can't even remember if it had an undertray ?
                Yes, your car has an under-tray.

Comment

Also had 1st speed fan issue on my ABY. Turned out someone had removed some relays & fuse's from the car at some point.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...17#post2118517

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

Yes, your car has an under-tray.
                    Thank you! ?

And B5NUT cheers, I'll have a proper gander at the fuse box in the morning

Comment

Just thought I'd update this thread, plugged the car into vagcom and despite the guage reading 3 notches above 90c, the ECU reports 90c consistently and the fan kicks in at 91c, so it just seems like the dash guage over reads and everything is OK!

Comment

It's good to post an update - helps people get an idea about where the common faults occur and what works to fix them. It sounds like your car is operating perfectly. If the dash gauge bothers you, I suspect you have a non genuine MFTS... They are notoriously variable in reading output such is the rubbish out there. Behr is the brand to buy if you csn find one.
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                        X