Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck windshield airdirection flap cable / slipping climate knob

Hi all,

I've got a 92" Cabriolet with manually operated climate knobs without AC. The right knob, for the air direction started slipping recently.

After removing dashboard controls, and removing the bowden cables, I can see where the problem is. The cable responsible for the windshield airdirection flap is really stiff when moving by hand (almost not possible). I already tried lubricating this end of the cable, but that didn't resolve it.

Does anyine perhaps know how to access the other side to try to lubricate it. Any other ideas to tackle this issue?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

If you crawl under roughly centre of dash you will see where the cables connect to the air box. One has little cogs on the lever mechanism and maybe some carpet of something got jammed in them? Failing that, if it's internal in the air box it's dash out I'm afraid
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks! Do you perhaps have experience in if it's better to remove the panel underneath the steering wheel, or to remove the glovebox, to check the airbox under the dash? Hope it's indeed just a peace of carpetting, or some foam or something that is the culprit

Comment

You can remove the lower section of the centre consul so you have better access. Do you know how to do that?
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I guess you mean the part marked in red right? I didn't know that it was possible to look deep into the dashboard from there. I haven't tried removing it before, but it most not be harder then removing the center console tray that I had to remove to get to this point.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that's the piece. Lift out the rear ashtray and remove the single nut. Lift up and slide back the rear section. There is a slot where it engaged with the front section. This will reveal two (from memory) screws at base of gear leaver. Now, as yours is auto not sure on next bit. On a manual you unscrew the gear change knob and lift the whole section up whilst pulling back. There are two slide clips at the front bottom. These snap off easily. You will have to carefully un clip the wires for cigarette lighter and your hood switch.
            Looks nice inside
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks! The pic was made right before winter storage last summer. I've got a lot to do before I can take it out this year, including adjusting the windows so that they seal, figuring out the engine overheating issues & cleaning it rigorously since the mold took over the interior

I guess it should still be possible to remove the console by putting the transmission in Drive, since the lever seems to have enough free space to slide downward that way. The knob should be just as easy to remove as on a manual, since I did it on accident before.
              I'll give it a try coming weekend, will let you know

Comment

Nice. I broke a cabriolet last year and still have a few parts left over if you need something.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Well, I just gave it a go. I ended up removing the shelf underneath the steering wheel to check if I could access the airbox connection point, rather then removing the center console. Removing the shelf is only 4 bolts & a quick tug, so It was worth the try.

Laying on my back and putting my phone inside the incredibly restricted space to film, I could see the connection point on video. The mechanism wasn't visible/probably inside the airbox, but spraying some silicon spray in the general direction of the connection point and opening and closing it by hand probably hundreds of time did the trick!

It's still a little more stiff then the other climate controls, but it doesn't slip anymore and opens/closes correctly! Thanks for your help Dave

Now I just need to rewrap the bowden cables with something, since the "rattle prevention" foam completely disintegrated at the smallest of touch

Comment

Well done
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                    X