This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B4 auto climate control into coupe

So I posted this up on audiworld and have gotten no answers so far. I have a 1990 Coupe w/ 7A motor and the crumby GM vacuum based auto climate control. I was broken for a while and I looked into putting the later auto climate system found on cars here 1993+. The main issue people pointed out was that the speed sensor wasn't on the compressor in the 5 cyl cars. Recently ScarGo02 found that you can just flash the control unit for a 5 cyl and it will ignore the lack of a speed sensor.

I came across a 1993 90 w/ V6 at the junkyard that had the newer auto climate system the other day that uses the electric servos to control airflow. The control unit was gone but the blower motor and electric flap boxes were there along with the wiring harness so I grabbed both since the price of $15 was too cheap to pass up. So I looked over some wiring diagrams I've collected and linked most of the wires to existing ones already in my Coupe except for just a few.

If anyone has the Bentley book for the 93-95 90s and could tell me what to do with these wires and/or where they go and what kind of signal they get that would be great. The numbers correspond to the pin on the connector as described in the diagrams from this thread.
    http://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/412247.phtml

T10e
    1 Gn/V - Data Link connector? (Don't think the Coupe has this)

T5o
    1 Bl/Br - Not shown where this terminates
    It ends up in T5h/5 Wire Connector pin 5, 5 Point, red, behind instrument panel.

T2at
    1 Bl/Y - Not Shown where this terminates.
    It ends up T2t/2 Wire Connector pin 2, double, brown, behind instrument panel.

If someone could just look behind their instrument cluster and see what those color wires on those connectors go to I can probably finish up this project.

Anyone have the control unit they want to sell/give to me? I'll post all the wiring info when I am done and have tested out the system.

Also, one other interesting thing is the lack of a heater valve on the V6 motors w/ the auto climate control. Do they just use the flaps in the box to keep hot air from reaching the cabin and pump coolant all the time to the heater core? Do 5 cylinders over in Europe with this system also have no heater valves? Thanks.
    Last edited by ShadowofBob; 16 October 2007, 05:25.
    1990 Audi Coupe - 7A for now

interesting project

there is a control unit on ebay.de
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

What would really be a big help is a wiring diagram from one of the LHD S2/Coupes that had the later climate system.

I'm one step closer, just now need the T2at wire. I am pretty sure its unused, just want to be sure. Got the T5o/1 taken care of. Also realized that I'll need to add a pin to one of the climate control units for controlling the heater valve vacuum solenoid(same one as the one for controlling fresh air flap) since the V6 cars don't have one or use some other system to control coolant flow to the heater core. I'd be interested to hear how it does that.
      Last edited by ShadowofBob; 17 October 2007, 08:55.

Comment

Normaly there is no heater walve. The climatronic uses only flaps to open and clos hot or cold air and combination ob both. Dont forget to install the roof temperatur sensor and the one on too. do not know if they are the same.
        S2+AAN in progress (again), BMW 3 compact

Comment

Well I'm just about done putting in a B4 climate box in my Coupe. Wiring was fairly easy and I made an adapter harness(3 plugs from the b4 box harness to the male connector of the b3 climate control head that was cut out) to plug into the existing climate harness.

i figured out those pins. The T5o/1 is the Engine coolant temp sensor on the heater valve and the T10e/1 is for the vagcom communication with the AC unit. Never figured out what that blue/yellow T2at wire was for.

All I have left is to put the dash back in place. I did some testing tonight without the car running(need to put new bomb, hydraulic lines, and rebuilt AC compressor in) and everything looked good. Got readings from all temp sensors, the instrument cluster temp display worked, and the blower motor and electronic servos all functioned.

One thing that I noticed is odd is that if I set control to manual and temp at LO and max the fan speed it won't stay at max setting constantly, it will sometimes fluctuate down to mid level and then back up. The display shows it to on the level meter. Is there some reason for this like no engine power or is it something else?

I'll do a full write up with pictures and wiring info once I am finished and can confirm that everything is fully working. AC won't be confirmed until the spring.

I ran the diagnostics channel and got the following errors.

http://12v.org/maintenance/index.php...&ch=ccodes&v=1
          Bottom of the page

D1 Bi-directional wiring harness
          C1 Heater valve closed

The heater valve closed I'm assuming is because I don't have car warmed up and I think it is seeing the cold coolant. I don't see any other way it would know that the valve is open or closed since it is vacuum based. I also have to wire the 2-way valve to control the heater valve still.

What is the bi-directional harness? I'm guessing it might be the DLC for VAGCOM. I don't have the wire for the DLC hooked up to anything, but am not positive that that is why I am getting this error.
          Last edited by ShadowofBob; 7 December 2007, 03:06.

Comment

This sounds cool, have to see what it comes out like, are they easy to find the units?

Comment

You need to recode the B4 A/C controller for 5-cyl application - that is how it ignores the compressor speed signal. I have those schematics if you still need them.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                This sounds cool, have to see what it comes out like, are they easy to find the units?
                This conversion is great, but this write up will be applicable to that early aircon system fitted on the US Coupe. It wont directly apply to UK models. I am starting to put together the aircon info at s2central.net - hope to get 1st draft done by year end.

I too want to convert the UK manual aircon system to have the climate control head unit used on RHD cars. The looms are different for starters and you have to tweak the controller for use with the S2 compressor.

Paul
                Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

That will be an awesome feat Paul
                  Not for the faint hearted!

I'm puxzzled though... are the heater boxes themselves not different altogether though on the LHD cars?
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                    You need to recode the B4 A/C controller for 5-cyl application - that is how it ignores the compressor speed signal. I have those schematics if you still need them.

Paul
                    Already have that covered. SCarGo2 has VAGCOM and can recode it later. I don't need that right now though, no charged AC system and it's winter out here. I'm more concerned with the Bi-Direction harness error code. I don't want to put my dash on until I am sure it's an anomaly or anything won't be affected.

Anyone over outside the UK with these units know anything about that code or the blower motor behavior?

Comment

Hasn't aronmatic2 done this recently in his S2?

Comment

If you can get VAGCOM hooked up and get those fault codes - I can use the factory info here to suggest some root causes. Those 'C1' and 'D1' codes aren't meaningful in any of the manuals I have as they all assume access to VAG1551.

Paul
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

Yeah, I am not to worried about them or the other codes I got. I forgot that the climate control unit stores codes(disconnecting the battery doesn't clear them) and needs to be cleared by VAGCOM. And since my control unit is from a different car these could all be from another vehicles HVAC unit.

Comment

Finally put all my info into a .doc and also have some pictures of the process. This is preliminary and I may make changes still. I have yet to test if the AC works though, I need to reflash the CC unit for a 5 cyl and recharge my AC system. As you can see from the temp on the temp gauge no AC isn't a problem right now.

Wiring info:

Test fitting climate head to find out if I need a new center console frame(I did)

Face sticks out too far and no mounting holes

Old climate box

B4 Auto box

Adapter harness

Finished adapter harness

testing the fit of everything(had to remove the front vent tubing and install in dash first in order to get dashboard back in easily)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ShadowofBob; 14 October 2018, 03:29.

Comment

Part II

Finished install w/ different grain wood panel. I was going to try to use the old one and modify it to fit, but I cracked the finish while cutting the center hole larger.

instrument cluster temp gauge. my garage didn't get that warm unfortunately

Attached Files
                              Last edited by ShadowofBob; 14 October 2018, 03:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X