Heater matrix + interior Blower motor = fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater matrix + interior Blower motor = fun

Hi again... my coupe continues to fight me for time to take care of the SEDAN, this time the clever little ****er decided to blow the heater matrix.. and as a bonus the effin' blower motor starts to act up (does this **** never END?)

Heater matrix:
    I've found the VALEO p/n for RHD cars on this forum.. I also found the LHD p/n on valeoservice.com's web catalogue as below..

RHD: 812012 valeo, 894 819 031 A audi
    LHD: 812237 valeo, 8D1 819 030 B audi

Blower motor:
    I continued to look for the blower motor p/n on the valeo site and found A LOT of them, which one is for a coupe 3B LHD? can anyone help me decide that?

RHD: 715004 valeo, 894 820 021 blower rhd AC
    LHD: 698215 valeo, 8A1 820 021 blower lhd AC

UPDATE: I've put in the p/n as correctly as I've been able too according to the findings below.. I'll try to get the parts and report back later.. I'll be using these guides belowwhen doing the swap...

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=heater+matrix

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=blower+motor
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...r+motor&page=2
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=blower+motor
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...r+motor&page=2
    Last edited by Andreas; 9 November 2009, 12:06.
    Andreas Lundstroem
    A4 STCC Avant -04
    Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
    Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

How do I determine which blower motor the 3b lhd with AC uses?
    Last edited by Andreas; 9 November 2009, 12:05.
    Andreas Lundstroem
    A4 STCC Avant -04
    Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
    Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Drop them an email?

Comment

Yeah, that already struck me <: no reply as of yet!
        Andreas Lundstroem
        A4 STCC Avant -04
        Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
        Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

It quotes OE numbers too so you should be able to cross reference it.

893 819 021 (LHD non AC)
          8A1 820 021 (LHD with AC)

Comment

Yes.. here is the complete brakedown !

3B:
            -----------------------------------------

1 8D1819030B heat exchanger lhd
            (1) 894819031A heat exchanger rhd

4 893819021 blower lhd non-ac
            (4) 8D2819021 blower rhd non-ac
            16 8A1820021 blower lhd AC
            (16) 358820021 blower rhd AC

ABY (coupe):

(16) 894820021 blower rhd AC

ABY (avant/sedan):

(16) 894820021 blower rhd AC

ADU/RS2 (avant):

As you can see.. all the LHD AC cars seem to have the same blower?

then the one that I should be using/buying is this one: valeo p/n 698215

I made the mistake of thinking that there as a difference between the blower on 3b/aby and also between coupe/avant... but according to ETKA there is no difference.. its the same p/n on LHD with AC.. therefore my conclusion above!
            Andreas Lundstroem
            A4 STCC Avant -04
            Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
            Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

My final question to you all is, where does one order parts from VALEO?

I've read that some of you has gotten the heater matrix from valeo directly? for like £35? HOW? If I get it from VAG/Audi its £120 >:

Has anyone bought the blower motor from VALEO? what did it cost?? from VAG/Audi its £350 >:

Please advise <:

EDIT: ONE MORE QUESTION!! does these (to the best of your knowledge) sit in any other cars? like vw? passat? audi a4? (I get all kinds of hits when searching..)
              Last edited by Andreas; 9 November 2009, 13:39.
              Andreas Lundstroem
              A4 STCC Avant -04
              Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
              Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Semi-success!!!

Heater matrix = 70224 valeo (damn, I was wrong..)
                Interior blower = 698215 valeo (yesss)

Just hope I can get through the job without damaging something else >;
                Andreas Lundstroem
                A4 STCC Avant -04
                Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

I got it done today (well I got all the disassembly done and I feel confident that the other half if the job will be easier given the knowledge learned from taking it apart)

I've read the guides that ppl made here at s2forum, but the process of changing heater matrix and blower motor was a bit different in my case, perhaps as I have a LHD S2 3B coupe 1991 with ECC.. I'd like to thank everyone at the forum that has written about this in the past as this was a lot easier thanks to you guys!

So here's what I did:

I started by removing the glovebox and the storage shelf under the steering wheel, then I removed the steering wheel and the main cluster.

After this I removed the interior bits surrounding the E-brake and the aux cluster..

Then I removed all the buttons in the middle of the dash, the stereo, the ECC-panel, the vents (as well as my boost gauge) and finally the plastic frame that sits in the middle of the dash (sits by 4x screws in each corner)

After this there was noting left mounted in the dash so I popped the 2x covers of each side of the dash and removed the 4x screws behind there.. there are also 2x screws on each side of the middle of the dash, 4x more in total.. before pulling the dash out there is a cable canal on each side of the dash (each of them just above where the glovebox/shelf sat, on the drivers side attached with 4x philips screws and on the other side by cable ties) then disconnect the cables for the front speakers and disconnect the ambient temperature module (sat behind the interior trim above the glove box) and after that pull out the dash!

Now comes time to get rid of the air canals what goes to all the vents.. sits by 1 hex bolt in the middle... and the lower air canals sits by some philips screws.. also remove a metal frame that the middle of the dash was attached to.. this to be able to wiggle out the lower air canals..

Disconnect the plugs/vaccum hoses that runs to the heater matrix housings and the blower housing..

If you are like me and have AC/ECC and dont want the disturb the blower housing as it also attaches to the AC pipes from the engine bay.. change the blower motor NOW, else continue as follows..

I now drained the fluid/coolant (you'd be smarter if you do it earlier.. but hey.. thats me) and then disconnected the 2x hoses that goes to the heater matrix in the engine bay (one of them is the one where you can bleed the heater matrix later..)

Then loose the 2x nuts that hold the heater matrix to the firewall and behind the plastic cover below the windshield (remove it) there are 2 more that holds the blower housing..

After this I used the wiggle room that I got from loosing the 4x nuts above to wiggle the housings and pick off the 6x clips that holds the housings together, TO SEPARATE THEM, and just pull out the heater matrix housing.. you can just pull them both out BUT then you'd have to drain the AC gas and disconnect the AC piping at the firewall too.. (why??)

This is where I'm at now.. gonna clean the heater matrix housing tomorrow.. perhaps snap some pics? and then comes the fun that is.. REASSEMBLY (in reverse order..)

Oh, the fun..

//Andreas, thanks to Pelle for reminding me to disconnect the speakers and helping me holding/pulling the dash out.. thanks to Tony and Sören for encouraging me to act on impulse and just pull the "#¤"#¤ housing out instead of worrying about possible/hidden clips from overcellus audi engineers <:
                  Andreas Lundstroem
                  A4 STCC Avant -04
                  Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                  Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Nice write up! Well done on getting it sorted..
                    91 S2 coupé - RIP
                    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

here is a good write up with pics:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int55.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                        here is a good write up with pics:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int55.shtml

That WAS a great write-up!! (wish I had found it before I did the job..) Thats basically what I did but there was some differences in the metal brackets around the steering wheel there.. I guess the car in that write-up doesnt have PROCONTEN <: Also some things are missing (I also missed some things in my write-up above)

//Andreas
                        Andreas Lundstroem
                        A4 STCC Avant -04
                        Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                        Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                          Has anyone bought the blower motor from VALEO? what did it cost?? from VAG/Audi its £350 >:
                          VAG 8A1820021 (LHD with AC) 245eur
                          VALEO 698215 (LHD with AC) 160eur

Please advise <:
                          EDIT: ONE MORE QUESTION!! does these (to the best of your knowledge) sit in any other cars? like vw? passat? audi a4? (I get all kinds of hits when searching..)
                          plug'n'play blower from Passat year 95:
                          Attached Files

Comment

does these (to the best of your knowledge) sit in any other cars? like vw? passat? audi a4? (I get all kinds of hits when searching..)
                            Regarding Audi A4 B5 in some of the will be the same as in B4 p/n 8A1820021, and in some B5 will be with different connector p/n 8D1820021:
                            Attached Files

Comment

I recently cleaned up my blower motor while the dash was out. You can extract the motor from the housing quite easily. I gave the fan a good clean in soapy water with a toothbrush and blew out all of the crud from the motor before lubricating and refitting. Mine was a bit squeaky before but this appears to have solved it
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X