rad fan resistor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rad fan resistor?

Hi, first off, thanks to all who helped me get my a/c working again ( most thanks to doug for the compressor) Anyway when the guy came to recharge the system today, he thought the fan should run on slow speed whenever the a/c is switched on? is this right? if so that aint happening (runs at full speed, but only every 30 secs or so) so his guess was that there is a resistor somewhere that may be faulty.
    Any info?

hmmm, mine runs constantly on low speed so long as the air con is on, no cycling in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Robatron
      hmmm, mine runs constantly on low speed so long as the air con is on, no cycling in and out.

It should do....

There was a post about this in the a/c / heating section of the forum. The CQ20V in the USA had a bit of a problem with burnt out resistors.

David

Comment

sounds like the fan resistor is no more, has expired, is deceased (what was this from? ah yes! Monty Phtyon!!)

The fan should spin up slowly on speed one as soon as you turn the AC on. I no longer have AC (removed it) but I left in this AC circuit as now my AC switch is a manual fan over ride button! helps to keep the engine temps down in lots of traffic.

You need part number 447 959 493B, dealers charge £105+vat, we are £71.98+vat. Be careful with 2nd hand, might not be much better than yours!

Before you go replacing it, might be worth checking it to see if its just a bad connection to it, or rust!! This lurks behind the front bumper right near the washer bottle, screwed to the chassis leg. I'd take a picture and post it here, but the car is in teh garage and I'm not, and had to many beers to take photo's!!

HTH Simon?
        Martyn
        Martyn
        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

There are also relays you can check - don't know much more than that as It was a few years ago I had to fix mine on my last S2.
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

3B or ABY? Fan controls are quite totally different between these two.
            3B has internally 2-speed fan and then an additional resistor sitting behind the fan. The resistor is used only in after cooling function. Errm uhh, I'll have to take this back. This is the situation in my MY91 car as a friend of mine has MY92 and it seems to have different setup aswell.
            Didn't help much, yae?
            -

Comment

Working...
            X