This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate, what climate?

I spent many years fitting automatic climate control to my S2 as was available as an option on LHD cars, but never on RHD.

I've been asked a few times about what was involved so I've put together a guide which is attached as a .pdf here.

Happy to try and answer any questions anyone might have

John

(I had to reduce the resolution to get the .pdf to upload so the pictures don't look as good as they could. I'll happily email the original to anyone (2.1MB) or maybe Sonic will help me when he gets back from his holiday )
    Attached Files

Send it to me and I'll put it on a webserver so it can be downloaded

Le Mans 2012
    Nurburgring 700
    1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Should have said, Paul is going to host it on S2Central when he gets a spare moment to put it there.

John

Comment

Big thanks johne

My dash will be coming out next week end !
        sigpic
        "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
        BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
        1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
        2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

For better or worse, you're not too far from me if you want help. Looks like you'll beat Jamo to it

John

Comment

I have other priorities like getting the car back on the road before ADI

once it's on aircon is next johne, I've got everything for itmevery sensor, climma unit and loom

Comment

Good Luck with getting your car finished so we can all see it at ADI.

John

Comment

Thanks John, the way it's gone I need it

Comment

Do you think I could use the digital climate unit to control the air direction, heat and fan speed on my non-aircon car? don't really want aircon but would love to get rid of the 3 knobs
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yes, you certainly could. You would in effect always be operating in the "Economy" mode, i.e. air-con compressor off. In fact the system would automatically go to that mode knowing you'd got no aircon gas pressure.

The wiring would be simpler as you wouldn't need the compressor, radiator fan, pressure switch wiring. If you wanted automatic temperature control you'd still have to go through the hassle of finding somewhere to mount the interior temperature sensor and you'd still have to take the dash out to fit the new heater unit. You'd save on the two external temperature sensors as you could replace them with 1Kohm resistors which will make the system think it's always 25 degrees C outside

You could still use your current non A/C heater fan and ducting and be able to keep your larger non A/C glove box.

John

Comment

John is this the same document you sent me or is it a new version?

Comment

Cheers John, sounds appealing. I may well look into it in future
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Top write up, I'll put this mod on the list
                          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                            John is this the same document you sent me or is it a new version?
                            Jamo, it's basically the same with just a couple of minor additions and low res pictures.

Given the comments, I'll look to doing an additional set of tables for the climate computer connectors connections if you don't have air-con but still want to fit the display and have everything controlled electrically.

John

Comment

how different would it be for changing the u.s. spec climate control system? there's not many options to turn multiple things on.
                              2011 black VW Touareg TDI - Daily/hauler
                              1991 black CQ- rally poser
                              1990 titan CQ- rombotis brunhilde racecor
                              1986 black Yamaha Fazer FZX - cafe bike project

Comment

Working...
                              X