X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johne
    replied
    Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
    Oddly yes it is J153 on the manual system - been looking purely at climate diagrams tonight !!!
    J44 on the climate system and J153 on the manual A/C both switch the A/C compressor but they are different numbers because they are different units.

J44 is a simple relay with a protection diode in it that switches the compressor on and off under control of the Climate Control Unit.

J153 is also a relay that switches the compressor but also has some basic logic in it which accounts for all the "brain" that the manual air-con system has. J44 doesn't need those logic functions as the Climate Control Unit does that and more outside of J44.

If you fit climate control into a car that already has manual air-con, you need to change the J153 relay to a J44 relay and re-route some of the wires going to the old J153 socket to the new Climate Control Unit.

John

Leave a comment:

• johne
    replied
    Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
    But it does not feature for MY97 or MY98 - instead the supply is a switched feed on a black/red wire that lands on pin D9 of the head unit.

Pin D9 on the MY96 wiring has a completely different purpose with a connection to F73 (refridgerant low pressure switch on the evaporator) so be careful like I said to ensure everything lines up.
    It's true that D9 on MY96 goes to F73, but actually so do several other things and they all go to the "X" 12 volt feed so even for MY96, D9 is still the pin feeding power into the CCU for external loads. Of the four connectors on the CCU, D is the power connector & it's my belief that behind connector D is a power driver chip that the CCU microcontroller drives and pin D9 is the source of power for that chip to source or sink into loads such as the flap motors and compressor relay.

I suggest that D9 has the same function for all 3 model years in your spreadsheet. It's also why I believe D6 will drive the recirc solenoid (N63) across all the model years if a version of the software that uses N63 is in the CCU, i.e. if you download A80 or MY96 A4 software into a MY97 or 98, the recirc solenoid will work

John

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    That spreed sheet is a big help Paul

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    Of course if you have MY97/98 climate housing and MY97/98 loom and head-unit then its irrelevant about the recirc function as it would appear this is something that just got phased out along the way

Not quite as the part of the B4 system you have to retain is the evap housing which has the recirc flap within it, on a B4 this is the Vac type.

I'm hoping I can put the B5 V71 motor driven recirc mechanism into the B4 evap housing. We won't know till I take the dash out.

cheers

rich

Leave a comment:

• S2central.net
    replied
    Of course if you have MY97/98 climate housing and MY97/98 loom and head-unit then its irrelevant about the recirc function as it would appear this is something that just got phased out along the way.

If you have the earlier MY95/96 climate housing from the A4 then it will have the recirc flap (N63) and the capability in the head unit to drive it.

I also believe that if you CODE the A4 head unit as 4-cyl RHD that it will not go looking for the G111 speed signal... nicely avoids a false error as the 5-cyl compressor does not provide this signal in our S2/RS2 application.

Leave a comment:

• S2central.net
    replied
    Oddly yes it is J153 on the manual system - been looking purely at climate diagrams tonight !!!

There absolutely is no RECIRC flap on the MY97/98 Audi A4 - the N63 module that drives it gets deleted. See the attached sheet for a blow by analysis of differences between MY96 and MY97/98.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• S2central.net
    replied
    Which diagram - from a B3/B4 schematic or B5 or C4 or some russki nonsense ?

The Black box with number 4 nails it as J44 from proper Audi diagrams - compressor clutch relay - Front Auxiliary position 4 - its an 8-pin thang.

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    Getting to grips with these diagrams now

Starting to answer my own questions

I'm thinking of using some brake-out cables, hooking up the new system with the dash still in, get it 100% (except the recirc switch) and then doing the install.

Looking forward to this now

cheers

rich

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    J153 with manual a/c
    J44 with climate

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    It's labled on the diagram as J153 but has a number 4 in a black rectangle next to it it has 8 conections.

Leave a comment:

• S2central.net
    replied
    Surely you mean J44 - that is Aux position 4 in the S2/RS2 with climate - common to B5 platform as well - I mean the J44 label of course.

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    J153 switch unit for magnetic clutch

Leave a comment:

• S2central.net
    replied
    Now I'm normally pretty hot on all those relay positions, but gimme a clue on what J153 is here .

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    Another silly question where dose J153 live on the S2

Leave a comment:

• rj scotty
    replied
    This is strange johne's chart shows D9 as a 12V x load dump (I know what x load is now thanks to s2central ) and that his is an earlier controller.

Really Appreciate the input guys

cheers

rich

Leave a comment:

Working...
X