Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C valves check

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/attachm...9&d=1185890529

looking at the photo, items 6 and 7, does anyone know how these are removed?

id like to hotwire the valves to see if the compressor begins to work and therefore see if i have to replace them.

thanks

When you say "removed" I assume you mean electrically not physically?

Both pressure switches have electrical connectors clipped to the body by the headlight that you can pull apart. Under normal operation (F23, green) is open circuit so you can just leave it unplugged and the other one (F118, red) you'll need to put a link across.

Only the red switch will stop the compressor from working.

If you do put a link across the green switch the radiator fan should come on at speed 2.

Once you remove the red switch you'll have no protection against excessive pressure in the system if you do have a fault - such as a blocked restrictor - so don't do it for long and stand well clear!

There is a final release valve in the compressor and I'd suggest putting a gauge on the high side port next to these switches so you can see what's gong on.

John
    Last edited by johne; 25 September 2011, 11:27.

Comment

aha
      so the connectors are not on the valve themselves, right.

ETKA has parts for the 2 valves there. I was told that one of the valves would be for the radiator fans,and the other for the compressor to start working, although from the photo i see these as being different. I need to recheck etka in a minute to see what it says.

when you say restrictor, what kind of restrictors are in the AC system?

i dont have a gauge im afraid, so if its that complicated, i may leave it for someone that knows what they are doing...

Comment

from ETKA, no:6 on the photo says it is: high pressure switch for electric fan

No:7 is high pressure switch for compressor
        No: 8: charge valve.

Comment

They are valves in the sense that they open and close at a certain pressure to actuate their electrical switch but they are not valves that can block/fail and stop your system from working. Also, behind each of them is a schraeder type car tyre valve that allows you to unscrew them for replacement without all the gas escaping.

There is one restrictor in every A/C system, it's where the "coldness" is generated by turning high pressure liquid into low pressure (cold) gas. In our cars it's located inside the metal pipe running from the radiator to the bulkhead. It's actually just after where the metal pipes join by the N/S driveshaft.

John

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
            http://www.s2forum.com/forum/attachm...9&d=1185890529

looking at the photo, items 6 and 7, does anyone know how these are removed?

id like to hotwire the valves to see if the compressor begins to work and therefore see if i have to replace them.

thanks
            The drawing in this link is incorrect.

8 is the charge port.

6 and 7 are the two high pressure switches.

John

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
              from ETKA, no:6 on the photo says it is: high pressure switch for electric fan

No:7 is high pressure switch for compressor
              No: 8: charge valve.
              ETKA is correct.

John

Comment

i see

i was told that the high pressure switch for the compressor may have gone dead and that is why although the system is charged, its not starting off.

However my fans are not starting either, but i wonder if this is something that happens only if the compressor is engaged.

this is why i wanted to hotwire the switch to see if the compressor will kick in. If it does , then would it be likely that the switch needs replacing?

Comment

For the compressor to run, two pressure switches have to be closed.

The low pressure switch and the red high pressure switch. If both of these are closed - either for real or because you've put a link across them - then the compressor should run (assuming it's warmer than 3 degrees C outside ).

Depending on which one you've had to bridge to get the compressor to work will mean different things but it's a start.

If you're confident that there's at least some gas in your system I'd hotwire the compressor clutch feed with +12 volts, that'll at least force the system to work and you can see if it goes cold. The compressor clutch feed has a junction by the headlight next to the compressor where you can get in.

John

Comment

Working...
                  X