Removing A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing A/C

Going to strip out the A/C and junk it on my avant, anybody had any issues doing this? Reason - the system is ******ed and cluttering up my bay.
    Will the ECU notice? will it interfere with the radiator fan?
    Any advice appreciated.
    DM
    sigpic

I intend to do this over the next month or so. I used the infamous search function but the most helpful topic seems to have lost its photos

Comment

Removed it all from my s2 coupe no problems just saved a load of weight and gave me a bit more space. Watch the bolts that hold the compressor bracket to the block soak them in wd40. Just get a new consol cover for the heating controls inside the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie View Post
        Going to strip out the A/C and junk it on my avant, anybody had any issues doing this? Reason - the system is ******ed and cluttering up my bay.
        Will the ECU notice? will it interfere with the radiator fan?
        Any advice appreciated.
        DM
        The ECU doesn't know the A/C is there so won't notice that it's gone. As long as you leave the radiator fan relays and the after-run relay there, the radiator fan will be fine.

You have a choice inside the car, you can leave everything inside the car as it is and just have an A/C button that does nothing or you can take the heater fan motor and A/C evaporator out and replace them with one's from a non A/C car (just about any Audi 80/90) with the appropriate control panel with no A/C switch on it but if you do this note that the non A/C heater fan is smaller and the speed control resistor pack different. You can also then fit the glovebox from a non A/C car which gives you twice the capacity.

Oh and when you do do this, can I have one of the A/C pipes you no longer need

John
        Last edited by johne; 18 September 2012, 14:27.

Comment

removed mine after years of trying to keep it maintained and gassed up, compressor is a weak link at this age, i've been through 3 lol

No issues at all, just remove compressor, the radiator which rides piggyback on the main radiator and away you go.

If there is gas in the system, get it recovered properly rather than vent to atmostphere and the a/c button in the car will enable you to manually start the fan should you wish too....useful after a blat/trackday i've found
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

pretty sure i have a non a/c front panel in the lockup if anyone needs it

Comment

Working...
            X