Steaming up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steaming up.

Got into the car this morning ( very stormy night) all windows were clear with no condensation. Started off and after a few hundred yards all the windows in the car just misted over completely, it got worse the higher the blower setting. Demisted again once the car had heated up a bit.
    I know the usual cause is a coolant leak at the heater matrix but I'm definitely not loosing coolant and all the interior carpets are bone dry. I'm certain the moisture came OUT the heater vents. Is there a drain in the heater box that could be blocked, having taken in some water in the heavy rain and high winds?

Anybody any clues???

Cheers,

Graeme.
    94 UrS4 Avant, slowly modding as we go. Now gone replaced with:
    2001 S6 Avant, V8 works for me!

Check your pollen filter, NS - just under windscreen - usually bad seal allows it to become saturated. I run without it, no issues and as quiet as normal.

Comment

just "checked" my pollen filter which the main stealers said that my car DID NOT HAVE guess what must be about 10 years old does anybody know how much new ones are?
      ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
      THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Where on the car do you access the pollen filter?

I own a 1993 ABY S2 Coupe and I am not sure if my car has one fitted.

My car often steams up and I saw this thread and thought that this may be the cause of my problems.

Any help on the location of the pollen filter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by mak2503

My car often steams up and I saw this thread and thought that this may be the cause of my problems.

Thanks in advance.
          Hello mate, long time no-speak.
          Not sure if your car has the pollen filter, but if it has, then it's located under the trim below the windscreen. Access it by removing the passenger side wiper arm and then undoing the big round tabs. It's located beneath.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

You will know if you have one fitted. The 3B of mine doesnt and has just a grill over it, to stop children being sucked into the fan blades.

Dealers very often dont chnage these items. The number of cars that we get in our garage for service that have never had the pollen filter changed is unreal. Nearly always by dealers.

Beckys A4 was a good example of this. We bought the car, that had been serviced by the audi stealer about 6k ago. On the bill was a pollen filter. When I changed the battery on it last week, the pollen filter was black and date stamped 1998!!

I think that sums it up!
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

hows the A4 going mate? considered getting one of them to replace the pug.

Greg
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Yeah, its fine. Has an odd hesitation, but havent got around to dealing with that yet! Possible boost leak/WGFV prob.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by mak2503

Thanks in advance.
                  The ABY pollenfilter is some 20 euros. Be prepared to sweat when yo replace the plastic cover in front of your windshield and be cautious to pass the edge UNDER the glasses' rubber edge because thats where the water enters. I had to seal the rubber to plastic edge with a black tape because the rubber was already deformed due to previous neglect. Needless to say, the filter was dripping with water.....
                  Its easy to tell if you have one or not. If you have one and its wet, you have a week air stream even at high fan speed. If your air flow is strong, then water is standing somewhere in the way..
                  Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Working...
                  X