No announcement yet.

Air Con Diagnosis for RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting point of view . Is interesting also that i repaired cars like that and all are working fine . Only my 2 penny opinion
    Audi S4 2.2T 5 spd 1992 for parts
    AUDI A4 1.9TDI daily use

Audi 80 Quattro 2.0 16V (ACE) aka Competition

Comment

JohnE - thanks for that, the fact that it is lagged makes it believable that that is where the gas has been leaking and why it is left undetected.

Eric/Scilly/JohnE - I can't see the part number for the pipe/hose in question on the thumbnail provided by Eric, I'm on a train with a crappy connection, do you possibly have access to VAGCat to get the relevant part number as I'm now more than convinced that this is the problem.

Cheers

Tom

Comment

A/C Pipe

Tom,

I have the same issue as you and is as yet fully undiagnosed. I have replaced most things except the compressor, which is coming out for a re-build.

Anyway, the pipe you are are referring to here is called a Refrigerant Hose on 260-61
        in the family album and has part number 8A2 260 740 AD for the ABY. Here are some useful pictures of when i replaced this pipe.

tn_DSC01899.JPG tn_DSC01901.JPG tn_DSC01902.JPG tn_DSC01903.JPG tn_DSC01904.JPG

You should also buy two new seals for each end P/N 8E0 260 749 D and I was told to use some A/C oil as lubricant for the seals and joints.

HTH

BTW i got the pipe through Pete @ Quattro Corner

Cheers,

John
        2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
        1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by John B View Post
          Tom,

I have the same issue as you and is as yet fully undiagnosed. I have replaced most things except the compressor, which is coming out for a re-build.

Anyway, the pipe you are are referring to here is called a Refrigerant Hose on 260-61
          in the family album and has part number 8A2 260 740 AD for the ABY. Here are some useful pictures of when i replaced this pipe.

[ATTACH]41815[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]41816[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]41817[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]41818[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]41819[/ATTACH]

You should also buy two new seals for each end P/N 8E0 260 749 D and I was told to use some A/C oil as lubricant for the seals and joints.

HTH

BTW i got the pipe through Pete @ Quattro Corner

Cheers,

John
          I will give Pete a call later, thanks.

Just found these threads too based on the part number you found, could be useful for others with the same issue:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...?t=9703&page=2

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44

The fitting guide is handy too, especially the bit about the large spanner required

Comment

I checked my service history too and this pipe was replaced in February 2005 by the previous owner so either there is a design fault on these or they aren't built to last.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse1210 View Post
              I checked my service history too and this pipe was replaced in February 2005 by the previous owner so either there is a design fault on these or they aren't built to last.
              Yep btdt I think mine is now on it's fourth pipe. What happens is the pipe is exposed to very wide temp differences - very hot and very cold. Inevitably, it fails in either of two ways
              - the seals/joint goes in particular the joint just underneath the brake fluid reservoir or
              - the pipe cracks due to the consistent thermal stress. It tends to crack on the bend which is hidden in the wheel arch and you get the symptoms you have observed.

Comment

Originally posted by scillyisles View Post
                Yep btdt I think mine is now on it's fourth pipe. What happens is the pipe is exposed to very wide temp differences - very hot and very cold. Inevitably, it fails in either of two ways
                - the seals/joint goes in particular the joint just underneath the brake fluid reservoir or
                - the pipe cracks due to the consistent thermal stress. It tends to crack on the bend which is hidden in the wheel arch and you get the symptoms you have observed.
                OK, great, confirms my suspicions then.

This is a dealer only part according to Pete at Quattro Corner, just ordered the pipe and seals for £136 including VAT and drop off at my work so could have been worse. If this doesn't work I'm giving up on this 3 year trail of misery

Comment

Just wondering if anyone can give me a rough indication of how long this takes to replace including regas time? Hoping to get this done next week and don't want to keep piling money into this. Ta

Comment

Its easy to access so I'd say less than an hour to change the pipe assuming nothing is seized, plus a regas
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just a quick one to say cheers for all the advice on this 3 year saga!

I had the rigid refrigerent pipe replaced 3 weeks ago and we still have cold air now which is an absolute blessing at the moment. By replacing what was probably the main problem last I know have a virgin air con system (£we did the drier too just in case).

Best to have patience with the old girl as things always get sorted in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse1210 View Post
                        Just a quick one to say cheers for all the advice on this 3 year saga!

I had the rigid refrigerent pipe replaced 3 weeks ago and we still have cold air now which is an absolute blessing at the moment. By replacing what was probably the main problem last I know have a virgin air con system (£we did the drier too just in case).

Best to have patience with the old girl as things always get sorted in the end.
                        Think i am up to your level now - have replaced pretty much all the pipework and the condenser. There's the compressor that I'm getting re-conditioned and then the last suspect is the drier. How much is the drier BTW?

The uncanny bit about this is that the gas has a dye in it to be able to spot leaks under UV light but i can't see any leaks except the odd drop where it was filled, which i suspect is just a spill rather than a leak. Thinking about it now i have just said that, i haven't checked around where the drier is i.e. between the inner and outer RH wing....next port of call after compressor re-build
                        2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
                        1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

The leak I had when I was diagnosing my Aircon was round from the Driver's side wing (Accessible by removing the inner arch plastic guard), large pipe no need for removing your bumper to get access to it.

Come to think of it I've had a fair bit replaced on my aircon as well, new condenser, pipe, welded pipe, new compessor
                          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by John B View Post
                            Think i am up to your level now - have replaced pretty much all the pipework and the condenser. There's the compressor that I'm getting re-conditioned and then the last suspect is the drier. How much is the drier BTW?

The uncanny bit about this is that the gas has a dye in it to be able to spot leaks under UV light but i can't see any leaks except the odd drop where it was filled, which i suspect is just a spill rather than a leak. :
                            The drier is pretty cheap, you'll probably pay £50 or so, my mate got hold of one for me at "trade price" and that was £30 which is pretty cheap when you see the size of the thing.

Re the dye, we couldn't see any leaks anywhere either...at any stage which was probably the most annoying thing...trying to diagnose it when there was nothing obvious.

Hope you get it sorted

Comment

Working...
                            X