Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Climate not blowing Cold.

Hi,

I have a 1995 S2 with Climate, but it will not blow cold air. Things checked :-

Aircon regassed and checked a number of times - no leaks.
    Compressor and fans working.
    Condensation on pipe leading from A/C rad to Alloy block on bulkhead.
    When both Rec and A/C buttons on, vents to central, temp to cold, and fan to at least 2 - compressor can be heard running, but only coolish air coming out of vent.
    As above if Rec switched off, but less noise from compressor/fans.
    With A/C and Rec both off, temp to cold, again only coolish air coming out.
    Hot air is fine.
    Checked operation of the vent/temp flaps - all operating fine.

When engine hot, temperature gauge does seem to read low, however, in traffic, cooling fan does keep cutting in - possible faulty gauge ?

Water pump changed (don't know about thermostat), with cambelt, 3000 miles ago when I purchased the car.

I am trying to determine if this is an A/C or normal heater problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

It may be as simple as the cable controlling the temperature flap in the heater box is detached / damaged. You can check this I think by just looking up under the glove box / centre console area and make sure the cable is doing its job correctly
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks Error 404, however, I had all the centre dash out and could follow each cable from the heater controls and all worked and I could hear flaps moving, however, that is not to say there is not a problem inside the ducting which is not visible.

Comment

Do you get cold air when you first start a cold engine, i.e. before the engine coolant has had a chance to start warming up the heater?

It does sound as though your temperature control flap inside the heater is letting warm air mix in with the cold.

It's more work but you could disconnect the coolant supply to the heater at the bulkhead and temporarily join the pipes there and then see if you get cold air now there's no hot water in the heater.

John

Comment

bypassing the heater matrix would be a good way to test it
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
          X