Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S4 A/C leaking.

Hey

I´m am having some issue with my S4 the A/C is leaking. My question therefor what are the most common leaks on the A/C system ? On a AAN S4 avant from 94

Casper...
    Last edited by Casper...; 15 July 2013, 17:45.

Originally posted by Casper... View Post
    Hey. I´m am having some issue with my S4 the A/C is leaking. My question therefor is what are the most common leaks on the A/C system ? On a AAN S4 avant from 94. Casper...
    There are no common leak locations because they rarely, if ever, leak. You just got lucky. (Sorry )

Typically where they do leak, over time, there is an accumulation of greasy dust due to the lubricant in the R134a. That might help you track it down. You could also try spraying soapy water onto the hoses, condenser, etc. with the system pressurized (if you can get the system to pressurize), looking for bubbles = your leak. You might have to remove the bumper and belly pan to check out the condenser and compressor properly.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I now i´m lucky

Any way I tried the hole soapy water thing and the only place wich gave a slide indication of a leak was from one of the pipes that screws into the filter but I would not even call it a leak because the bubble (like in one) was so tiny i almost didn´t see it.

It is leak around 0,1 - 0,2 bar an hour so it is not a big leak i´m hunting. I will try to see if i can finde the time to remove the bumper and belly pan.

I have another question.

Where would one retofit a low side R-134a charge port to the system ?

My thoughts go towards unscrewing the sensor in the picture below and put a tpipe like the one in the other Picture in between the sensor and the pipe.
      y_f51d77ea new.jpg
      594V403W.jpg
      Casper...

Comment

"It is leak around 0,1 - 0,2 bar an hour" How did you measure that?! Do you have a gauge-set? How much refrigerant do have left?

why do you want one of those quick connectors?

Edit:
        Sorry to ask so much.. But I can't help you much without more details
        Last edited by Dybro; 15 July 2013, 19:14.
        1993 AAN UrS4 Sedan

Comment

I pressure test the system with nitrogen by using a manifold with a bottle hook up to it.

And why do I want one of those quick connectors? (a low side charge port)
          Because the system dos not have one and by adding one i would not have to get a hold a machine to refill the system.

Casper...

Comment

Where would one retofit a low side R-134a charge port to the system ? My thoughts go towards unscrewing the sensor in the picture below and put a tpipe like the one in the other Picture in between the sensor and the pipe. Casper...
            Somebody on my home forum (quattroworld UrS), who happens to have 25 years experience in the home/business Air Conditioning business, made such an access port on his 92 UrS4 that was originally R12 but had been converted to R134a prior to his ownership. But as he noted in his post, "This project is fairly straight forward, however if you have never worked with refrigerant before, leave it to the professionals."

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/248399.phtml

Comment

Dave you are the man to aske when it comes to S4´s

As a former Ag. mechanic I have the certificate to work with refrigerant but I do not the licence, which means that not allowed to buy and distribute the gas. But to get the licence all I would have to do is get VAT No (start a Company) and fill out the paper work or work at a firm that dos service on A/C units.

Casper...

Comment

I pressure test the system with nitrogen by using a manifold with a bottle hook up to it.

And why do I want one of those quick connectors? (a low side charge port)
                Because the system dos not have one and by adding one i would not have to get a hold a machine to refill the system.

Casper...
                Uhm.. You can hook up a gauge-set, charge it with nitrogen but can't put in refrigerant
                But if you don't have a vacuum pump and some r123a - then it might be a bit difficult. thats for sure.

So.. what is you plan? Have a mechanic recharge your system?
                1993 AAN UrS4 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Dybro View Post
                  ...and some r123a -
                  Umm...R123a??? Did you mean R134a?

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    Umm...R123a??? Did you mean R134a?
                    yes r134a..
                    1993 AAN UrS4 Sedan

Comment

I never said any thing about not having a vacuum pump or any refrigerant. I just said that I was not allowed to buy and distribute gas, that dos not mean that I can not go out an buy the gas from a company that has the licence an do the work my self.

The plan is to finde the leak. Either my useing nitrogen and soap water or regassing the system with R134a together with a trace substance.

Casper...

Comment

Since there were a question into how I measured the pressure drop I have taken a picture of the setup that I use.

P1270116.jpg

As for the hunt on the leak it is still ongoing. I mention earlier that i found a small indication on a leak at the filter, Just to be on the safe side I decide to change the O-rings

P1270122.jpg

P1270123.jpg

But it is still leaking some where. So I´m therefor going over to plan B (Regassing the system with R134a together with a trace substance.)

The hole retofit is not going so well either, the reason it is not going to well is because on the original R134a system all the threads on the fittings are metric where the R12 system runs inch so the Tee that MarvelousS4 used will not fit.
                        I´m therefor thinking about using an An tee fitting and then rethread one of the ends so the 1/4 low side charge port adapter will fit the Tee or rethread the adapter to 12 mm 1,5 in clime. But I can not seem to finde the thread clime on the An fitting any were !

Casper...

Comment

interesting stuff. If you do get a solution to fitting the second port let us know. Cheers des

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Some progress has been made today, I managed to finde the leak A new condenser is ordered and should arrive tomorrow.

P1310126.jpg

For the retofit part of the project I have a question, any one know whether or not if this valve is on hige or low side ?

P2010128ny.jpg

Casper...
                            Last edited by Casper...; 6 August 2017, 18:47.

Comment

Wow this is and old thread
                              But to answer diesel des question

The solution to fitting a second port to the system is to go through valve on the pumpe. I bought a R12 to R134a low pressure adapter drilled out the threads, because it was to small in the threads to fit the valve, and then i cut new threads, I think it was 12 mm 1 mm in climb make sure to check this !

P2020139.JPG

And by adding a low pressure port it was able to suck in the refrigerant by it self.

P2020129ny.jpg

Casper...

Comment

Working...
                              X