Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get heater hot, just a little warm

Hi.

So far i have checked the heater controls. found one knob was worn out so gettin a new one of those.

checked the cables to heater and they are moving smoothly and are attached to the right arms on heater etc.

Checked the system is bled properly and thats good too.

not sure what to try next,. any ideas?

cheers

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Greg,

What's the water temp at on your gauge? If your thermostat is stuck open it will reduce your heater temp too.
    If you had an Avant I'd have thought it would be those missing slippers
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Mine gets cold whilst im at a stop, but once i get it moving it gets way nice and hot.
      My temp gauge creeps up to 90, but when moving it drops down to half way(only in real cold weather). Is this incorrect? I would expect the temp to go down when the car is on the move
      Coupe

Comment

If you temps are slow to rise and they drop while you're on the move, it's time to replace your thermostat
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

mmm, on the move mine drops to 1-1.5 marks below 90DegC, no problem with getting up to temp.

how a big a job is it to replace the stat and how much?

cheers
          Jim

Comment

Stat change is a right bitch of a job.

Looks like Greg, abs and Jim all have failed or failing stats.

Basically move the PAS pump out of the way without disconnecting it. Then you can see the thermostat housing on the side of the block held on by two 10mm headed bolts.

First undo the hose on the housing and then take the housing off. When off, remember which way the thermostat came out. clean up housing and sealing edge and replace stat using new seal. (same as intercooler o ring!!). Bleed system, blah, blah, blah.

SORTED.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Jim,

I can vouch the stat is not the nicest job to do! reckon I do one in about 2 hours start to finish now. BTDT big time! for pictures of it click here: http://www.vagparts.com/S2/rad.htm

Martyn

Incidentally.... since I stuck the new rad and everything else in, a whole new water cooling system!! mine now runs at 1 click below 90 on a motorway continous driving. I put this down to everything in the water system being brand new and working right! Of course, the reverse osmosis water also helps too Mine isn't slow to rise, I'd say it's fine.... one click below 90 must be about 83 C allowing for a little inaccuracy in the gauge, the stat opens at 87C so it's about right given the gauge probably has a degree of error margin...
              Last edited by Martynf; 25 September 2003, 21:41.
              Martyn
              -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Here's how the original stat was fitted:

Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Greg, any luck yet??

Logically... it surely can only be one of a few things.... the heater matrix is blocked??, the system still has air? or the heater control isn't turning to ht from cold. Cannot be anything else???

Martyn
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

mine runs at like that also martyn, gave system a good flush out plus new stat when han engine apart, this morning on way home from work (bloody freezing outside) bombing round m25 ran 2 degrees below 90deg. so yours may be ok jim

martin

Comment

Or...maybe we all have stats fitted in the wrong way!! easy to do....

Tom, when you said remember the way the stat came out, were you saying the actual postition of it? i.e the 'strap' should be X way fitted??? like the 'strap' over the top of the stat should be horizontal etc?? If I remember rightly, when I fitted my new stat, I put it in and remember turning it clockwise until it hit a stop in the stat housing. Does that sounds right?

Martyn
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

PANTS!!!!!! I just found the answer.... looks like my stat may be fitted wrong!!! according to this:

Oh well, stat is coming out again :-(
                        Attached Files
                        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Why does it matter what position it is in? :confused:
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

It doesn't. Thats just Audi ********. As long as it is facing the right way with the wax pellet inside the block. If you put it the other way round it aint gonna work too well.

@Martyn, dont worry about it m8, its fine. By the way, you not working today? If you did, why haven't you returned my phone call? Git.
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

im positive i put mine in horizontally, not taking it to bits again.
                              why only horizontal anyway?
                              surely cant make that much difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X