RS2 RHD heatermatrix replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 RHD heatermatrix replacement

Hey there - sorry for starting another thread on this topic, but I am looking for specific information, hence the new thread.
    So my heater packed up after having the aircon condenser fixed. When switching on the heater, steam was coming through the vents. Based on other threads on the subject on the forum, I deduced that the heaterr matrix needs to be replaced.
    Mine is a RHD, with "manual" aircon. I intend using the information from other threads on the replacement - must be honest I'm not looking forward to it, but it needs to be done.
    The current matrix has been by-passed.
    First question - I will disconnect the battery before commencing. What do I need to do to disconnect the drivers side airbag?

Second concern - once the matrix is in place and the pipes are connected - what else do I need to do?

Thirdly - since the dash will be, what else should I look at replacing? I'll do all the bulbs
    and sand down the washer/s connected to the fuel gauge. What else can be done - call it preventative maintenance.

I intend starting in the next 2 weeks with removal, and hopefully the matrix will be available in 3 weeks time. I'm in no rush - so will do this over a few weeks on week-ends.
    Your input is appreciated
    Cheers

First point - Drivers airbag is a connector under the steering column surround. Plus you will have to take the airbag out to get steering wheel off. Small plug into the back of airbag.

Second point - Bleed it to get all the air out. I replaced all the foam etc on the heater flaps and greased everything up that moved in the heater system. I also got my hand down every pipe to clean out all the dust.

Third point - I fitted a new alarm and meant I could bury it all behind the dash plus replaced, repaired all the fixings and added foam tape to remove any squeaks etc.

Comment

And you can comfortably do the job in a day, it's not a bad thing to do at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
        And you can comfortably do the job in a day, it's not a bad thing to do at all.
        Agreed, but not when you do all of what Monty did, which should be done.

Comment

I replaced matrix, recovered all the flaps, disconnected original Audi alarm/remote locking unit and did quite a bit of tidying up as well, and that too ~8 hours, with a long lunch.

There aren't many bulbs that re difficult to access with the dash in so not sure you need to worry about that too much.

I thought I had found my dash rattle the other day, but it appears not Somewhere right behind the steering wheel, I thought it was a metal plate vibrating, and can reduce it with my hand, but a dent put into it didn't stop it.

Comment

Thanx chaps for the feedback - much appreciated.
            Any particular pre-cautions to take when disconnecting and removing the airbag? I assume that once the battery is disconnected there shouldn't be any problem.
            I assume once everything is put back together, no particular sequence, just re-connect the battery and all should be fine?

Comment

Airbag should be fine with battery disconnected. Should be fine full stop but it's worth taking it off carefully and making sure your fingers and face etc are out of the way just in case.

I don't like taking them on and off. Having broken a few cars and set off the airbags for a laugh, they go off with a bang!

Comment

if you search for posts by @S2central you'll find that he's done a dashboard removal guide which you'll find on here.

John

Comment

Is there any info on doing this on a car with aircon without having the aircon degassed first?
                  That is, can the heater matrix be replaced while leaving the aircon 'coil' unit connected and gassed?

Comment

No the aircon has to be de gassed.

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
                      Is there any info on doing this on a car with aircon without having the aircon degassed first?
                      That is, can the heater matrix be replaced while leaving the aircon 'coil' unit connected and gassed?
                      Yes it can be done. You can - just - remove the clips joining the central heater box containing the heater matrix from the box containing the A/C radiator and leave the A/C connected. However you run the risk of straining the A/C pipes as you do it and you won't be able to get all the clips back on.

Yes, it's been done but for the sake of having the A/C regassed afterwards and avoiding the risk of breaking A/C pipes I'd go with degassing first.

John

Comment

@montyrs2 - I was afraid someone was going to state the risk of removeing the airbag - thanx. Now to find someone that is keen to do it for me - remove the airbag
                        Any "how to" on bleeding the system once installed.
                        @johne - I intend using the dash removal guide - thanx, just need to find it again.
                        @vag nutter and johne - any "how to" on the aircon bit that you guys mentioned - pics would help

Sorry for the numerous questions and requests

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X