Air Con!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Con!

I ve noticed in peoples profiles that a few have removed the air con? What did you guys remove and why? (is it simply weight, or do you not think we get enough weather to warrant it?):confused:
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

I removed my aircon for all of both those reasons and becuase the compressor, condensor, drier and most of the pipework were damaged. To replace the broken bits would have cost aroung £3000!!! Although as you probably know I would have paid £0 for the parts. (Can't beat perks of the job )

Sods law, that as soon as the aircon was removed the summer heatwave started which was a nightmare with black leather.

There is also a quite substantial weight saving element. I'm not sure how much it is (somebody on here must know) but I do know it was heavy enough to justify uprated front springs on air-con models.

I have removed all the underbonnet aircon components. One day I may replace them but it's not high on the priority list.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

we think about 15 kilos would bethe weight and i d rather be cool in summer and quick demisting in winter
      skint but fast

Comment

Originally posted by madshad
        we think about 15 kilos would bethe weight and i d rather be cool in summer and quick demisting in winter
        Sold!! the air con stays! Unless any other major benifits are suggested?
        Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

15kgs????? Ummmm thought I saw somewhere a post that the UR quattro aircon system was about 90kgs and required uprated springs at the front to deal with the extra weight.

I can't imagine the S2 system would be able to shave off all that weight but I am happy to be told otherwise

Cheers,

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Dont know what it weighs, but i dont care, it works and is the ********!! I think that the konis cancope with it! But, @Ben the parts for it are stupid money. I had to get a pipe mended, couldnt justify 120 notes, when it can be done for nothing

Ah, this summer wasn't that hot, at least not in my car!!
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I'm taking mine out during a few days off around Xmas. I will weigh it then for ya. I have 2 reasons for removing it: mass and airflow. First one is self explanatory (except for how much mass that actually is!). I don't like the fact that the aircon condenser sits in front of the main rad hampering flow. I ran for the whole summer without the aux rad connected and didn't experience any heat anomalies. It was a hot summer in the South East (UK standards)! Don't forget that Audi designed these cars to work everywhere from the Artic Circle to the Sahara so there is quite a bit of margin in some of their systems! I want my main rad to work a bit more effectively and removing the aircon will help this. Bonnet venting will improve things further. The aux rad will be replaced by a much larger oil cooler as this help overall engine cooling too. Before you ask, I am planning big horsepower and if cooling is not sufficiet with a single large standard radiator then it will have to be made thicker and improved until it does!

Lee

PS I must admit that aircon was pretty handy in Le Mans last year but I can do without it...especially in the UK. I have put up with many cars without aircon so, since it hampers performance, off it goes.
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Sod that. I bought that car cos it had A/C. Oil temp doesn't get that bad on the road. even with 300+ bhp. Only time it gets really hot is on track days. 130 deg.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I hit 130 C oil temp trying to keep up with a chipped-up S3 cross country. He had as much power but was a few hundred kilos lighter. He couldn't shake me though...explains the temps. It was also the first time I faded my RS4 disk setup even though I use super duper brake fluid (Castrol SRF). "I drive it like I stole it", as they say.

Aircon suits some but it's not for me.

Lee
                  1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                  Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Yeah - the weight is significant - think its about 75kg for all the aircon gubbins... About the same as a passenger - depending on carb and PoG intake

Also agree with Lee on the over-the-top nature of the cooling system on the S2. My water temps only get stressful sitting in traffic. A larger cored main rad, with better airflow and maybe vents should be easily up to the job. In fact I think there is such a rad available for the S2 and UR from Dialynx. It would also simplify the install of a left hooked inlet manifold and/or taller (or higher mounted) intercooler/charge cooler.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                    X