ABY/ADU Aircon clutch/pulley removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY/ADU Aircon clutch/pulley removal.

Anyone got any pointers on removing the clutch/pulley mechanism from the air-conditioning compressor?

I have a good pulley kindly provided by Alex (nice one mate) but it's attached to a compressor in need of reconditioning, whereas the compressor on my car feels fine but the clutch in the pulley is shot.

I'm guessing I need to make a puller of some sort, there are three M5 holes on the face of the pulley are these used to attach said removal tool?

Obviously I've undo the M6 bolt in the middle and tried lightly tapping it etc, the 3B one (which I have a manual for) uses a puller but it's a completely different pump.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Yes it sits on splines on the pump shaft, you need to make a puller to remove it
    I recommend soaking it in plusgas or similar for a while they are stubborn and the clutch assembly is quite fragile
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers Alex, yeah it's had a good soaking in penetrating oil, I'll have a go at making a puller using the three holes on the front, defiantly don't want to force it so will take my time.

I'd really like to get the air-con working before heading to Scotland at the end of the month and if the pulley sort's it I'll be chuffed, the rest of the system looks to be in good order and has obviously been maintained up until the car being taken off the road some years ago.

Thanks again for the pump

Comment

NPs
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
          I'd really like to get the air-con working before heading to Scotland at the end of the month:
          Pretty optimistic about the weather are we?
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

, doesn't hurt to be positive. Should it be warm it would mean I could have the windows shut to protect myself from those wee flying menaces you guys have to live with up there.

Comment

pint glasses?
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                pint glasses?
                Not planning on spending too much time in Glasgow so should be safe from flying glassware.

The midges in the Highlands though are a blight and I want to able to retreat from them in my car. I may well be using it to sleep in for a couple of nights, Charlie and I are going to wing it and not book accommodation as it occurred to us today we have a mini camper van each.

Comment

Here's the unit I got from Alex with a good pulley, I've wasted an hour looking at it and can't decide how to go about making a puller.

An illustration of the factory tool would be awesome however some straight forward instructions would also be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Comment

When I removed one mate I used a normal puller and took the pulley off wholesale
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

So you put the puller legs around the back of the lot and pushed on an M6 bolt wound into the end of the pump shaft? Will give it a careful go.

Comment

Yup, Pretty much, IIRC I used a washer to protect the end of the shaft
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

After a fair amount of head scratching I managed to get the thing apart without damaging anything. I used an old bottom pulley with hole's drilled in it attached attached to the face of the assembly using the three M5 holes to enable me to remove it. Once I'd gotten the face of it was just a matter of removing two circlips before using a three legged puller to extract the centre which came off easily.

The bearing is in great condition and it's cleaned up well so hopefully I'll have working air conditioning soon, if the systems seems to be good I'll get it re-gassed straight away

Attached Files

Comment

nice job
                            but how this clutch suppose to work ? if system is empty does it have to kick in compressor by pressing button on climate control or it needs some minimum pressure to read from sensor ?

Comment

Originally posted by sailaz View Post
                              nice job
                              but how this clutch suppose to work ? if system is empty does it have to kick in compressor by pressing button on climate control or it needs some minimum pressure to read from sensor ?
                              The electronic clutch is actuated by the non rotating circular part on the end of the pump itself with a single core wire going to it, I guess it simply works using magnetism. I hope these pic's of it loosely fitted back together help it make more sense.

Got the fun job of removing the old pulley assembly from the pump on the car.

The donated pump with all rotating parts removed.

The bearing/ pulley assembly slides on and is secured with two circlips.

The face plate which sit on splines and holds the lot together with an M6 bolt in the centre.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by K Simmonds; 13 May 2015, 00:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X