Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiator is f**ked. Where to get new one? Use K-Seal/Radweld temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator is f**ked. Where to get new one? Use K-Seal/Radweld temp?

So it looks like my radiator is fekked. Coolant has been dripping it out of it and I pulled the undertray off this evening, hoping it's was a loose hose or something. It seems to be bubbling from the very bottom of where the core meets the lower frame bit.

See very dodgy one handed video here. seems to be upside down/sideways. You can kind of see in the last couple of seconds where it's bubbling out.

I can't see it coming from anywhere else so it must be the radiator??? Maybe the problem has been there for ages but with me using the car rarely and usually only for short trips in the winter maybe I wasn't driving much with the coolant circulating.. or maybe the radiator is just fekked from the car not having been used for a long time in the UK and now that i've started to drive it a bit, it's just falling apart.

So anyway... first question is.. should I use this bottle of K-Seal I've had in my "emergency kit" for years? Has anyone got experience with this?

And second question is.. where can I get a new radiator at a reasonable price? I think all 5 cyl coupes had the same main radiator, is that right? Of course I have a friggin Aircon radiator strapped to the front of it just to make my life sh1tty when it comes to changing it.
    Any of these?
    £100 Nissens
    £76 Nissens, which looks kinds the same??
    Or something else? I don't need a platinum radiator, washed in virgin's tears or anything. Just something that works for a few years would be good... By which point I'll probably have become pissed off with the CQ and bought an S2... or done something silly and tried to put a V8 in it. Yeah right, like a V8 would be found cheap in Finland!!

anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts.
    cheers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

I've used K-Seal before with good results
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
      I've used K-Seal before with good results
      Cool, thanks. Good to hear from someone who has used it.
      I may need to try it tomorrow anyway to keep me going for a while.
      1990 CQ20v

Comment

The cheaper one looks to NOT have the outlet going to the auxiliary rad?

Comment

Recently I did a head gasket on a Renault which had some form of sealer additive used in it, water channels were restricted to almost pinholes between the block and head, personally I'd just fix the problem rather than possibly causing other issues without you knowing, but that's just my 2 cents (from experience )
          But at the end of the day it's your car, hope you get back up and running soon
          1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

What stocious said^^ it's only to get you home till you fix the problem nj there's a guy on forum who sells radiators Vidar skothem I have one from him very good would recommend while you need a new one

Comment

John - well spotted. Now I remember what the difference in the CQ10v and CQ20v is. The 10v doesn't have an aux rad so the main rad doesn't have the extra inlet and outlet to connect. I seem to remember plenty of people ditching the aux rad but I think if I'm using stock parts I'll keep them both for now. If I had a monster alloy radiator I might be happy with just one though

Lads, thanks for your thoughts on the K-seal. I think I'll have to just deal with it and change the bloody radiator as you said.
              I'll find out from Vidar how much a radiator will be before buying anything elsewhere.
              Cheers
              Nj
              1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by Nj View Post
                The 10v doesn't have an aux rad so the main rad doesn't have the extra inlet and outlet to connect......
                I have a 20V CQ and a friend has 10V(NG) CQ, both the same age, and his also has the extra radiator?
                .......the plot thickens!

Comment

Evidently it's been waaaay too long since I was breaking these things... which means I'm talking a load of old b0ll0cks now
                  Hmmm. So what variant had the tall main radiator without the aux rad? I thought (but now have to question my memory) that the 2.0 8v, 2.0 16v, 2.6 V6 and 2.8 V6 all had a single radiator at the front, immediately in front of the engine.
                  Ah screw it. I just don't know any more. It's the impending 40th birthday you see. I'm going to instantly become Homer Simpson.
                  1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                    I have a 20V CQ and a friend has 10V(NG) CQ, both the same age, and his also has the extra radiator?
                    .......the plot thickens!
                    BTW both are quattros, maybe the 2wd variants don't have rad?

Comment

I have one I replaced with a new, if you're really stuck?

Comment

GSF still sell behr radiators for s2. Got one last year and it was a good price too.
                        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

John - that's a bloody good point.
                          Michael - thanks. I'll have a look and see
                          1990 CQ20v

Comment

no radiator listed on GSF
                            http://www.gsfcarparts.com/virtualca...dlevel/cat/72/
                            1990 CQ20v

Comment

In my case it was only in emergency, and when I was changing radiator I flushed system many many times to be sure it's all clean.
                              '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                              '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                              X